What's new

7th Gen Accord Saloon with a baby?

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
Looking for anyone who used one as a family car. We are expecting a first child and I'm worried that the car won't be big enough. I'm tall and the back doors are quite narrow so tricky to squeeze car seats in and out? The boot opening is quite narrow so will also be tricky to get a pram in and out?

Had a test drive in a 2018 2 petrol auto CRV yesterday and it was like a slug compared to my ancient remapped I-CDTI ;). Didn't even have an electric passenger seat which was cheeky of Honda. Anyway 4x4 wasn't for me... leaning towards an estate if I replace the Accord

Would be ideal to keep the Accord as it's nippy enough and sufficiently old now that I'm "relaxed" if it gets a little rough inside from carting a little one about

Mine’s an 8th estate but I’m pretty sure the back is the same as the 8th saloon. Apparently the 8th has less room in the back than the 7th, but I use it with an ISOfix base and car seat for my 6 month old and it works fine. Only downside is the front passenger has just about ok legroom as the seat has to go forward, but that doesn’t really matter if I’m driving.

Everyone’s situation is different, but in our case we hardly ever take the seat out of the car. The first 3-4 weeks we would, but even then only occasionally. We’d normally use the buggy/pram kept in the boot, as carrying around a car seat with baby in gets surprisingly heavy, especially as they grow mad fast! Since 5 months she’s been in the trolley seat at the shops and we still use the buggy or even the carrier when out and about.

With regards to the boot opening, best thing you can do is test getting one in. A well made but quickly collapsible one is king. Got a mate who’d let you test one? Same with a car seat, got a mate with one for a test fit? Another option would be Facebook market place, and be upfront with the seller that you need to test the compatibility with your car. Id recommend getting your partner to arrange and go as well so you’re both happy. You could also experiment with collapsing the frame and putting that behind the drivers seat, then put the pram/crib/cradle section in the boot.

Good plan! Yep can ask a friend to try their car seat and pram

Still can't get my head around a £20k+ CRV being slower and thirstier than my leggy 17 year old Accord

I reckon a lot of that will be down to the weight and emmissions beating stuffs. They are somewhere between 600 and 800kg heavier, I think.

Couple of pics below so you can see the snug fit. I'm 6ft 1 but have no trouble getting her in/out of the seat, which at this point stays in the car permanently. Only the missus has bonked her head on the door frame a couple of times!

Z30JsKX.jpg
bAaiFLZ.jpg

That is snug! But as you say if the seat doesn't come out, it doesn't matter. Estate gives you a bit more headroom than my saloon too