What's new

7th Gen Diesel, Buying advice?

adamg_rocco

Reaction score
Car
MX5
Hi,

I've been looking at getting a 2004-2007 Diesel Saloon (Probably a Sport) Found a couple ranging from £2900 to over £7500, obviously the cheaper ones are a bit ratty round the edges, and the more expensive are nice and tidy.
Any tips for someone new to Honda's? Any danger signals to look for, bargaining chips to use with dealers etc?

Thanks in advance!

Check that the clutch isn't slipping (ideally, there should be proof that it's had a replacement at some point). This is a common problem and can be expensive to fix. Also check that the exhaust manifold isn't leaking - they are very prone to cracking and, again, this can be expensive... look at the rear of the engine when someone else starts it to look and sniff for evidence of fumes.

Obviously you should ask to see evidence of Full Honda Service History!!

Good luck!

Press the VSA button if it's got one and make sure the light comes on the dash, and that it goes out again when you push it again.
Accelerate relatively hard in 3rd gear and check for vibrations through the rev range, and also that the revs don't rise before the speed catches up.
Get up to 60-65mph or thereabouts and check for vibrations at constant speed.
Make sure it's had regular servicing, ideally Honda every 12K or more, if not then check it's had Honda oil/fuel filters and 0w30 oil used.
If it's more than 125k miles or older than 7 years old, then as Jon says check for fumes in the cabin when sat still, you can smell them at the back of the engine bay too.

Usual stuff; pulling to the side, problems with braking/pulling, knocking noises from suspension and noises when turning etc.

The preface lift 5 speed models are just too expensive to repair when anything goes wrong.

Exchange engines at about £2k means that any significant fault renders the car worthless.

The same sort of issues with VSA and Tailgates.

If it hasn't had new chains and idlers - both timing and oil pump drive - forget it. I was quoted in excess of £3k by a Honda dealer aand the parts were in excess of £650.00.

I bought mine a year ago and it developed a knock in a very short time which was the crank.

It had spun a bearing on number 3 big end and the piston had been hitting the head. The oil level was about halfway between amx and min on the stick and no oil warning lights were showing.

We had to re-grind the crank - both mains and big ends. The rod with the spun bearing was also out of round.

We bought used rods and new bearings.

We re-bored the engine as it did exhibit bore wear (120k) miles and fitted oversize pistons and rings.

We bout all the parts form JAP Engines in Manchester and they tell me this type of failure is quite common.

While it was down we changed the chains and idlers and the bill for parts was just over £1200.00.

Fortunately we have a Classic Car Restoration business so we did the work during evenings and weekends.
The car has now done 1250 miles since the rebuild and runs well - it is relatively quiet and does around 44 mpg.

Once it is on the move it is fairly responsive but the low end torque - just off idle- is poor compared to the *** 1.9 PDs and the 150BHP 6 Speed BMWs.

I am just about to buy a 320D 6 - Speed BMW Touring on a 54 Plate - Hide interior, M Sport Pack - 6 Speed Box and 88 000 miles for £4500.

I think I will be lucky to see £3k for Honda even with an almost zero mile engine. The rest of the car is immaculate, has ahd new tail gate struts and has no other faults.

I think I will most likley take it to auction as I don't want any comeback.

I did look at a facelift 07 Accord but it doen't drive much differently to my 04 and I have decided that the risks ***ociated with all the VSA, Tailgate and other problems just wasn't worth taking.

My conclusion is that it is a nice car but lacks engine development and that basic reliability is a bit poor.

Wow fennlane is seriously unlucky!.

Let me put a slightly different story on here.
I purchased a 'ratty' accord about 4 years ago. Won it on eBay for £4k. It had done 92k miles and was a 54 plate.

I had the timing chain replaced by Honda under warantee and I also did the clutch at the same time.

The exhaust manifold was changed too under Honda guarantee.
I have had a few teething issues with the work the garage did when they changed the timing chain but that's all sorted now.

Pretty much the car has been faultless for me. Obviously I maintain it myself. Change the oil every 9k miles.. change fuel filters every 3 oil changes.

The car now has 142k on the clock and it is still a pleasure to drive.

Unfortunately on forums we never post things like 'my car is amazing and trouble free, it is just perfect and I love Honda'.
Most if not all posts on here are where we have an issue. And TBH we don't really get that many serious ones.

Yes this is Honda's first diesel and there are a few niggly bits, but over all the diesel / petrol 7th gen accord is a wonderful bit of kit for the money and I don't regret buying mine :)

Unfortunately on forums we never post things like 'my car is amazing and trouble free, it is just perfect and I love Honda'.

That was the aim of the database thread, still not really enough data in it though.

Hi friends... just like to add my two pence in... I got my 2005 iCTDI from an auction with the VSA issue. I saved about £2k on the going price and managed to get some money off the VSA change from Honda UK. My good friend (mechanic) puts 0w30 fully synthetic in it every 6 months (about 7.5k miles) and it runs very sweetly. It's done about 110k and doesn't drink any oil between minor services. If you get a good one and keep her sweet, she will serve you well.