What's new

84-1 Code/Yellow Triangle

Miggy

Reaction score
Car
2006 I-CTDI Ex
Thought this might be useful, found it out by accident.

Used a borrowed Snap On code reader to clear 3 crankshaft sensor fault codes left by my fuel issue a few weeks ago. On the scan an antilock code also appeared, 84-1. Whilst the scan was reading, my ABS, VSA and yellow triangle fault lights illuminated and captioned on the centre display. The ABS and VSA cleared after the scan but the yellow triangle remained. I tried to clear the fault code but it wouldn't. I tried several times using the wire method to link sockets 4 and 9 on the OBS connector, no result. On a deeper look into the function checks on the reader I was able to use "Special Functional" and it allowed me to recalibrate the VSA. This cleared the code and the yellow triangle. So far, no re-occurrence.

Looking back, before the ignition key was turned to start, sometimes the VSA caption would come up and clear immediately. Possibly an underlying fault/mis-calibration that was sufficient to create a permanent VSA/triangle fault light.

You have to be careful running the VSA neutralisation with a 3rd party system on these cars, I’ve had cars come to me where someone has tried this and ended up wiping the calibration altogether. I think you got lucky :)

Eekk! I should know better than to mash buttons.