What's new

8th Gen 2.0 i-vtec timing chain replacement, unusual?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

I'm currently looking around for a 2.0 i-vtec auto and as you are probably aware they are very rare. I sold mine about 6 months ago to buy a newer car but the whole Covid thing has made me think again and I'm looking to sort finances out an opt for a cheaper car again as I only do about 8k per year.

I have spotted the following car online which looks in great condition if that's possible to tell by the photographs. But it mentions that it's had the cam chain replaced which I haven't seen mentioned before with this engine. It has FSH and a long term owner so it has all the right credentials. Problem is I am hundreds of miles away and would probably have to buy the car blind and have it delivered.

Accord for sale

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Mark

It has a claimed 83k on the clock. At what mileage should the chain on a mk8 be replaced ( if at all) ?

If you have a full service history with the car you could check on when and who did the work.

Last edited:
I've not had to replace a Honda chain (not cars anyway, only bikes) but some other car makes do require chain replacement at extended intervals, Saab and Mercedes.

Thats way over priced for a 12 year old car....if you were to go for a 57 plate for example you could pick up a mk7 2.0 auto for a fraction of the price if your looking to save money.My chain driven 2.0 auto drives like a dream at 95k miles.As far as i understand you should never need to change a chain on these engines if they are looked after so i suspect something went badly wrong with the one on that.The fact it needed replacing at such a low milage would make me walk away especially at that money lol.If your dead set on the 8th gen tho dont be put off,just be patient and wait for another with good history and a much lower price