What's new

8th Gen accord 2.0L engine oil

civicric84

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CU1
Hi guys,

Just seen a post on here regarding engine oil for the 8th gen diesel. It appears the preferred grade is 0W30. On a similar note I had heard rumours this was the same for the petrol model also. Is this true?

I do my own oil changes and checked on websites for the correct oil grade which states 5W30. Does any one know which is the correct or best oil grade for the 2.0L petrol.

I have been using Mobil 1 ESP fully synthetic. I was previously getting my car serviced at kidlington Honda and they were using a completely different grade all together. They were using Shell Helix HX7 10W40 semi synthrtic. Is this right??

Thanks,

Richard.

Richard Iv been using 5W30 on my 2.4 since Iv owned the car and will keep using this grade.
My next oil change I will be using mobil 1 the same as you.

Yeah I've used Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 full synth, the last 3 times, seems to work ok.

Also seems to be £25-30 for 4 litres which is reasonable.

I've read on the other forum 0w/30 or 20, but seems a bit thin for an older engine, maybe on a new one. They reckon fuel consumption is better.

I wonder why kidlington honda use 10w40 semi then? Bit odd. Think I will stick with the Mobil 1 fully synthetic.

civicric84 said:
I wonder why kidlington honda use 10w40 semi then? Bit odd. Think I will stick with the Mobil 1 fully synthetic.
Because they probably got a job lot of oil on the cheap.

Any problems and we pay the bill.

win - win situation for the dealer.

Why use semi-synth when you can get full synth for £25 for 4 litres.

Exactly! When you take your car to the dealer you ***ume it's the best option and everything is taken care of.

But when you are part of an online community you start to look at self builds/DIY threads and you learn so much. Then you realise the benefit of doing certain things yourself. Not only to save money but the peace of mind that you know things are being done a certain way. Also that things aren't difficult to do, as long as you are safe, don't rush and have your head screwed on lol!

I know we still need to go to a main dealer for certain things but I guess you see what I'm getting at.

My German dealer uses Fuchs synthetic 5W40 oil for my 2.4 petrol engine. Anyone has an idea if this is a good oil?

Fuchs is a good make and synthetic, but 5w/40 is a bit thick for the 2.4. Should be 0w30 or 0w20.
Should get better fuel consumption with thinner oil.
Maybe ask them why they use it, German climate maybe?

Rich, I thought the thicker the oil at high temp the longer the life of the engine. Thinner oil may give lower consumption at the price of increased wear? The temperatures in Germany are similar to the UK, maybe they account for the fact you don't have speed limits and the engine may run at high revs for extended time?
@Ciff - I believe so, it's called ***an, that's the only thing I could read on the bill.

I guess you would have to ask them their reasoning behind it. Probably just saves them money by buying one type of oil for their massive tank. A fully synth oil has a very strong film, no matter how thin it is, so should not increase engine wear.