What's new

8th gen as a family car

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi guys

I'm going to look at an ES GT 2.2 idtec Saloon at the weekend as a replacement for my 59 plate Avensis Tourer which I'm looking to sell and escape finance payments.

My question is do many of you 8th gen owners use the car as a family vehicle? If so how does it cope with 2 kids in the back, all the stuff that comes with owning kids in the boot, suitcases for holidays etc etc. I know it's going to be smaller than my Avensis all round but as long as I can fit everyone in and all the stuff comfortably then the Accord remains an option, otherwise i'm going to have to go over to Mondeo ownership which is not as exciting.

Thanks

Mark

I have a 9 month old boy and we had to get a smaller buggy for going away for the weekend as we could not get all the stuff in the boot. Boot spare is not the best on the saloon due layout. If I had have thought when getting my car about starting a family at that point I would have got the tourer for that extra space. My wifes Jazz is better for spare in the back lol.

I have a little 4 yr old and for now its ok, the boot is small compared to other saloons on the market. You will not get 3 or more full size suit cases in the boot......

I've got a 7th Gen tourer, but spent the day in the 8th Gen saloon the other day as a courtesy car. It's nice inside and for my family, it would make a great car. The cabin is more spacious and comfortably than the 7th gen. I'm only 5'7" and the Mrs is petite too so there would always be ample room in the back :lol: . If you're tall, it might not be the same story :unsure: .

The boot on the saloon wasn't amazing. Being used to the 7th Gen tourer though, I would always be underwhelmed by any saloon's boot.

Is a tourer definitely out of the question. The boot on the 8th gen tourer is a little smaller than the 7th but still a great size. Really square and open. You'd be able to just chuck in two buggies and some shopping without having to think strategically at all. No Boot Tetris involved ;) .

Having a kid was one of the reasons why I got my Type-S; it had more than enough space for the three of us all the way up to last week when it went.

It's been to Disneyland Paris and also rural France on a couple of occasions and always had enough room for him, luggage, buggy, travel cot, our stuff + booze on the way back!

HTH

Hi guys

I'm going to look at an ES GT 2.2 idtec Saloon at the weekend as a replacement for my 59 plate Avensis Tourer which I'm looking to sell and escape finance payments.

My question is do many of you 8th gen owners use the car as a family vehicle? If so how does it cope with 2 kids in the back, all the stuff that comes with owning kids in the boot, suitcases for holidays etc etc. I know it's going to be smaller than my Avensis all round but as long as I can fit everyone in and all the stuff comfortably then the Accord remains an option, otherwise i'm going to have to go over to Mondeo ownership which is not as exciting.

Thanks

Mark

My 8th Gen too is a family-mobile and is great at hauling my wife and two girls around. Granted, we dont have as much baby pararphernalia to lug around, even though the youngest is just two years old, the bot space is fine. Just that when open, you cant cram in big items as its not a hatchback.

But overall, the car is great and have no complaints. And personally I wouldnt be seen dead in a Ford Mundaneo.

Thanks Guys

St3ve is yours a Saloon??

I know the saloon is fine for us now it's just when I look at the boot I struggle to imagine a buggy + 3 suitcases and especially a high chair for when have another baby and go on holidays but it's probably quite deceptive and buggys are much smaller than the last one we had when our boy was little.

I am trying to convince myself because I definately want an accord and have a limited budget which doesn't allow me to have the pick of loads. I've seen a 2008 ES GT I-dtec for £9500 and he's willing to take my car and pay off the finance. Just don't want to be winged at by the misus if the stuff doesn't fit in the boot in the future.

I guess a roof box is an option for those holiday journeys anyway!

Thanks

Mark

Yep, Was a saloon.

I would ask yourself do you need to take everything + the kitchen sink with you? Depends how long you're going away for I suppose; but things like high chair could be hired at your destination or look at some of the smaller ones which clip over existing chairs.

Should add the lad is now 20 months old and he's been in the Accord since birth.

Cheers

I think it was a bad move for Honda to change the accord from a hatch to a saloon with the 7th Gen onwards - I had a 7th Gen Saloon when my daughter was born but the boot of the saloon was just too annoying for me when getting buggies/bags/suitcases all stuffed in the boot - the size of the boot I don't think is a problem, it's the small access and lack of height from being a saloon.
I think it was Honda trying to go "upmarket" and matching BMW/Audi as a saloon for the golf club brigade?

I sold the 7th Gen and went to a Mondeo hatch - the was a lot more room and very easy access. But got very bored of the Mondeo and last month sold it and got an 8th gen tourer. I now have lots more room and am back in a nice Honda :) I also think the 8th gen tourer is one of the better looking estates.

if the saloon your having is fitted with Sat Nav, be careful as this all so gets in the way as the DVD is located in the boot........ Grrr might move it at some point

Yes it does have Nav.

Well Toyota have offered to buy back my Avensis and want the car within a week so it looks like i'll only have the weekend to fine one, I actually think the Saloon will be fine for us now but it's just whether it will be in the future. However as my wife has already pointed out (she knows me so well) it will give me an excuse to upgrade to another Accord later!! :)

I know where there is a fully loaded 2009 '09' Type-S going...Will be about £15k I think...

Trouble is, it's off the road at the moment waiting for a part from Honda :rolleyes:

If only st3ve!

I have a max budget of 10k so that's not possible, unless you're willing to negociate down to that :p

If only st3ve!

I have a max budget of 10k so that's not possible, unless you're willing to negociate down to that :p

I would, but it's not my car anymore ;)

Chopped it in over the weekend...

oh how I laugh.

Just after the birth of our second child in 1996 our family cars were a Metro 1275 sport and a 1.4 AX diesel. Never had a problem getting 3 kids in the back of either. plus a buggy in the boot. Went on holiday in the AX, a few times.

I'm fairly convinced any Accord from about generation 4 (is that a triumph acclaim in drag ?) would be big enough

Would you recommend the Accord though St3ve, did you enjoy the car?

Definately. It's a great car for the money. I would say it's on par with the 5 series / A6 for size (A6 is a definate as put the two side by side when looking at an A6).

Toys wise; not sure what the version your looking at has, but the Type-S was fully loaded, but that aside, it was very comfy and a good all round car.