What's new

8th Gen Cracked Headlight Projector Lens

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
There's a couple of threads from 7th Gen owners who have had cracked projector lenses ( HERE and HERE).

I've just noticed my drivers side lens has a vertical crack running top to bottom.

Lens2_zpsykwzro8r.jpg

Lens1_zpsjfo4ez7l.jpg

The pictures make it look like there's a lump missing, but that's not the case, it's just a full thickness crack. It's not that easy to spot, but now I've seen it I can't un-see it!

I've only had the car a couple of weeks, and imagine it was like that when I bought it -but I was busy looking out for rusty sunroofs and loose windscreen trims as this has never come up as an area of concern.

The bulbs are standard halogen, the lights appear to be original and the fixings appear un-tampered with.

It wasn't mentioned on its recent MOT, the beam pattern looks unaffected and it doesn't seem to cause any dazzle (if dazzling was a real issue there'd be a clamp down on inappropriate HID conversions -but that's a whole other thread...).

A new light looks to be some hundreds of pounds, plus fitting (however easy people make it out to be, I don't think I could bring myself to remove the bumper!). I'm not sure when the 8th was facelifted, but as I have clear indicators I'm guessing mine might be? Getting a decent used one will be nigh on impossible.

It'll have to stay like it is for the time being. Have any other 8th Gen owners suffered the same?

Nasty...not seen that on an 8th gen. If yours is 2012 or later that is face lift model, so would still be under warranty.

New headlamps on Ebay for £90