What's new

8th Gen Halogen Dipped Beam Lens Tint

Hondoob

Reaction score
Car
Manual CW2
Over the weekend I replaced my halogen dipped beams with OSRAM LEDriving H1s. They light up the road pretty well and have good cut off, but they are not the same colour; right side is slightly blue, left side is white. Searching the forum this thread mentions the 7th gen Accord dipped beam "has the blue tint on the headlamp housing". Before I go through the pain in the backside of once again removing the bumper, headlights, lamps and then packaging up for return whilst waiting for a replacement, does anyone know if the 8th gen also has blue tinted dipped beams?

I haven't noticed any tint when messing with these lights internally there is definitely nothing. On both sets I opened up the internals are just black and chrome with the orange indicator lense cover.

I haven't noticed any tint when messing with these lights internally there is definitely nothing. On both sets I opened up the internals are just black and chrome with the orange indicator lense cover.

Thanks mate. I also didn’t notice any tint on mine, but thought I may as well check. Fingers crossed the replacement lamps are the same colour.

My replacement lamps arrived, so I got the bumper off and swapped them out. It turns out that one of my dipped beam lenses is actually slightly blue; nothing wrong with the first pair of H1 LEDs at all! So now I'm stumped. The headlights look crap as the position lights, main beams and left dipped beam are all the same white, but the right dipped beam is light blue. I managed to get decent pictures in daylight. In person the blue is slightly lighter, but still quite obviously different to the other white lights.

iI2Y6V7.jpg
M0SjbEU.jpg

The headlights have clearly never been taken apart as there is no damage to any of the tabs, so they haven't been customised in the past. Maybe the lenses come tinted from the factory, but the left side has faded due to sun damage?

That's really annoying especially as there such a pain to change. Probably sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but guessing you did swap the bulbs over to confirm it's definitely the lenses? I wonder if a second hand replacement headlight has been fitted in the past?

Mine are still halogen due to MOT legislation at the time of messing about with them. Annoyingly it's been changed since but couldn't be bothered changing as all bulbs were new when I fitted the lights. Looking to upgrade to LEDs in very near future as my indicator led bulb has developed a fault and started flashing rapidly so if I'm changing them it makes sense to do at the same time. Would you recommend these bulbs? Anyone else had this issue?

Haha yeah I did swap the bulbs around and the result was unfortunately the same. I've got a mountain of paper work that came with the car, with receipts for everything, and I can't find anything suggesting there has been a replacement headlight, but it is still possible.

These Osram LEDs have a very good cutoff and appear brighter and clearer than the previous bulbs that came with the car, although I'm aware that could just be the white effect. one bulb was an Osram Original Line and the other a Philips Long Life Eco Vision, so not the best anyway. I wanted better lights, but as they are annoying to change, my plan had been to replace the dips with Philips Ultinon LEDs. I figured this would get around the current MOT requirement 4.1.4 as "Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible." With the lenses on the dips being transluscent, it's not possible to see the actual bulb, so I'd leave these in for MOT and hope it passes. With main beams being easily accessible, I'd put halogens in there for MOT then swap the LEDs back in afterwards ;)

The car is in for it's MOT right now, so I'll provide an update on whether the lights pass or not. It may fail though due to the dips being slightly different colours as they need to be a "...matched pair of dipped-beam headlamps... ...Lamps are matched if they: emit light of substantially the same colour and intensity...".

I actually went with the Osram LEDriving HL BRIGHT for two reasons. Firstly I couldn't get the H1 retaining clip to fit around the Philips LED base. I'd bookmarked the Philips as a replacement last summer, but after finding they didn't fit last friday I discovered that end of last year Osram had released the LEDriving range, and at less than half the cost of the Philips Ultinon 9100 range, but with the same luminous flux and expected liftime. I sent the Philips back and have found that the Osrams do fit, you've just got to force the clips around the base. It's quite fiddly but doable. You'll need to adjust the aim of the dips as they will not sit in the same position as the halogen H1s. As I fitted them only a couple of days ago I'm getting the garage to adjust them during the MOT today. Hopefully all goes well.

Update. Just had confirmation from the garage that it's fully passed the MOT! Well happy as my garage is generally very thorough.

I’m no expert in this field, but the special notice document only say class 1 and 2 motorcycles aren’t a fail. Class 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 vehicles will still fail. I think cars are class 4, but they definitely aren’t motorcycles :p

Haha trust me not to read it all. I just read the opening section saying it's not an automatic fail.