What's new

8th gen new owner with extremely serious issue

Edeire

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 idtec es gt
Long story, but here it is in short.

I was saving long time.....to get my dream car.... It was the 8th gen.... Estate....

Last week i got it happen... Private purchase...

With some service history.

Its 8th gen 2008 es gt... Absolutely mint inside out ..i mean looks like it left factory yesterday...

High milleage but motorway mostly..190k..3 owners me being the 4th.. for some i may have not paid much but for me i paid all i had..3500€

Dpf gutted.... I sorted egr (blank) ecu off.... No remap all standard.
I went to trusted garage to do the job - check all ..computer show no errors and mechanic said she is sweet as butter...he went for a drive as well.... I was happy as little boy..
I have her only week.... She sound excellent
..no rattle no whistle .. i made 500 miles already... But...

Now its coming....today i got oil and filter to do
... I found inside the filter small brass shavings.... ;( I wanna cry now.... They are very small...you cant pick them but you can see them.. they are brass one side and silver other.....

Can anyone just gave me a slight idea that its not fatal?

Note engine doesnt knock or suffer from any strange noise at all...no rattle cold or warm..starts first time
..and last 500 miles lost no oil . Ichecked when i got her and i checked before i changed oil

Please guys can anyone who has a slight clue help me?

Ed

Metal shavings isn’t a good sign so not sure what ***urance anyone can give you. I guess just do the oil change and keep a close eye on oil level and any strange sounds. Perhaps give it another oil change in a few weeks for good measure.

Thank you for responds.

I think i will drive her and enjoy....i hope she will last at least another 50k.. at least.

I really hope its not coming ...just yet. Any ideas what it could be? I am gutted.

The no-one will be able to tell you what it might be, how can they.

The car is a high miler with "some" history so despite the car's general condition the engine will be worn, if you're that concerned send off an oil ****ysis that will examine the wear debris to ID where the metal shavings have come from.

If the car came with a service history and receipts, look through for any major replacement parts for the engine, stuff like oil pump or work relating to the sump area.

A dual colour on metal parts does suggest a bearing surface, top or bottom end, though it could also be two different washers that were dropped in the block by the last 'mechanic'.

Thank you.

Is the end inevitable? I mean could it be protected or once the bearing started it will just go?

How did you change the oil? i.e. suck it out or remove drain plug? I have heard of high mileage engines having used the "suck" method the magnetic drain plug is found to have a mountain of metal dehbri stuck to it. As has been suggested do another oil change (the correct way) and see if the gremlins are still present, the oil filter is/has been doing it's job, also if you are wise you will halve the service miles in regard to oil changes.

Did drain the plug..... I didnt notice any issue...i mean my mechanic opened the filter and found small pieces. As i said you can not pick then but you can see them. Theyare less the 1mm in size. I never ever did so before. I mean i had motorbikes....cars....dis a lot of oil changes....never checked aka opened filter. Always just the plug..... On the plug was no shavings or metal....just inside filter...

I will drive for a week or two and check filter again.

It may be a fuel pump. bosch CP4. They are rubbish and tend to fail.
New costs about 1200euros. In Lithuania mechanical check up is about 80euros, completely rebuild of the pump is about 800euros.
You can check if its going to fail is to remove fuel metering valve (FMV), which is on the top of HPFP, and see if there is small metal shavings.

These engines is considered very good, despite of rubbish HPFP :)
Timing chain failures also are rare.

Clean up oil filter housing from shavings and try to change it after 5k miles to check if there is any debris.

Had to part with her with substantial loss. It was a ticking bomb..either way money pit....if its not the main rod then it could be anything. I drive a lot 150km a day min - motorway mostly....cant be thinking in back of my head when she gonna give up on me... I went back to e60... Had one and did 370k hassle free.... Hopefully will do the same now....

Ps: when i save money i will be defo back to accord but next time i will inspect the oil filter as well...

Thank you all

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I'd have probably stuck with it to see what if anything happened but then I'm not doing your miles so respect your decision.

Good luck asking a seller to have the oil filter out for a check, could be a bit awkward :huh:

I'm in a similar situation apparently tho the car is in practically mint condition. Got less than <90k km on her and I'm only recently 2nd owner...

Few months ago I noticed the dreaded engine rattle noise, very subtle and only while cruising at about 3500rpm.. Never when idle (cold or hot), only while driving.

I immediately went to a trusted mechanic and judging by the sound he also suspects the bearings, yet at a very early stage. There was no point in disassembly and deeper ****ysis as it was still too early and it's not 100%... Personally I'd have opened the bottom of the crankcase to be sure but oh well..

Is it really true there's no point in polishing the crankshaft and replacing the bearings on k24 or hondas generally?

I'm told to look rather for an engine swap (almost died at that point), but I cannot imagine id ever find an engine with such a low mileage.
Also why not just replace the crankshaft?

If the bearings are going or are already gone...replacing crankshaft may not be sufficient to fix the engine as the damage could have been done to other parts of engine too. Thats the first reason....second its a massive labour and without warranty.... Its a sad story but its a fact.

Did you check for shavings? And as per my knowledge (limited) some people polished the shaft and replaced the bearings...but it always came back...sooner or later...dont know what year is your car andnyour location...but in uk you can get decent engine cca 100k milles for about 800£ ...according to ebay...fitting is about 600-700..so if all goes well it could be okly 1500 or so....

Sorry to hear that

Fair dues on running the k24 man, it used to be easier to find another engine with Honda's but the 2.4 is a rare beast, especially on our shores. The crank would need inspection and if the crank isn't scored, you could absolutely change out the bearings. A good engineering shop could repair the crank even if it was scored and give you new dimensions for replacement bearings if worst came to worst.

I've changed the engine on my sisters car in a driveway and I'm not a mechanic.

Don't trust mechanics that don't like to get mechanical!!

Btw beside the knocking and rattling, what are the usual symptoms to be expected? At this stage, if this really is it, i don't feel a thing nor have I noticed something out of the ordinary.
What to expect if/when it degrades substantially? Is there a chance it dies mid trip unannounced, or is it something that can be predicted once the symptoms get more pronounced?

If the noise is bad enough, then you'd know not to drive it and get it seen to. If it got so bad that it fails it could send a big end out through the block. I'm not trying to alarm you either. The k series is extremely reliable and doesn't suffer the same issues as the diesels above, but every car needs regular maintenance. If yours is a low mileage example which was regularly serviced I doubt you'd be in much trouble.

Throw up a video of the noise you have. Does your car use much oil between services, is there blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

Having the "tappets" adjusted is part of the regular servicing for a K series engine, but most of the time it's not needed, I've never done mine. Maybe yours is just out of spec and that's all the issue is or is it a more serious knock??

Get a second opinion to be sure. it's not worth taking the risk if it is a serious problem.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1LmILhoJSkj

I put a mic under the hood and recorded it during a drive. Try it on these timestamps

10:25
10:33 - 10.38
10:44
12:05 - 12:09
14:15 - 14:20
14:28 - 14:50
16:13 - 16:18
16:28 - 16:34
16:44 - 16:48
18:39 - 18:43
20:36 - 20:40
Since I own it i change oil every 8-10k km. As for oil consumption it's not conclusive.
The previous owner used the very thin OEM 0W20 oil as it was recommended by Honda. I continued to use it for the first year and had the impression that the consumption was surely about 1-1.5l / 10k km. First time I noticed the stick was below half and had to fill up almost 0.8L to get it to full. Since then i'm regularly checking...
After i noticed the rattling I switched to the thicker 5W30 and it really seems it's holding out much better.

I've adjusted the tappets on 80k km when i first noticed the rattle. No change unfortunately.

Personally, I'd run 5w-40 in the higher revving engines, I've been using the 0w20 for years, yes some of it is consumed but nothing major. As I said I'm no mechanic but would that be chain slap moreso than big end bearings??