What's new

A/C hose failure

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Well, after a successful fuel filter change it seems to have gone downhill in other regions.

On top of the gear change issues, I noticed this afternoon that one of the bigger A/C hoses has failed (part number 80311SEFE12 (80311-SEF-E12):

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

It's leaking on this connector. I'm looking at £150+ for a new one + fitting and regas :(.

Searching some breakers sites as I type... there is naff all on Autotrader at the moment :(.

Have you considers hose repair companies? I often see vans driving around for a company called mendahose. There may be something similar in your neck of the woods.

Do you know a Plumber? They may be able to do something with it? ;)

Know a few ;), just none of them F-Gas registered :p

I was thinking the same a good plumper or fitter might have a repair for this B)

Thing about repairing the hose is that you would need to drain the gas, take the hose off and to a repair company (or get them to come out and do it there and then). Then get it fitted and the system gassed.

Unless they are only charging £50 or so for the repair it isn't really going to be worth the hassle.

Yep true it sounds a pain mate.As the guys said keep trying the beakers or ebay there is bound to be someone breaking this car some wear.
Dan it will be helpful to no if its the same pipe as the pre facelift and also petrol models.

I'll Lings it up for you good buddy ;).

I would think so though.

Pre facelift diesel number is 80311SEFE11

Petrol pre facelift is totally different - as far as I can tell the equivalent pipe is less than a fiver. My teeth are very very gritted right now! (Part number 80465SDAA00)

Same goes for the post facelift. (Part number 80465SDAA00)

There is no sign of damage - just a small drip from the underside. I'll have a look with an inspection mirror and see if there are any other sources.

Not to my knowledge bud, but that area looks relatively clean..

OK, had the engine running just now with the outside temperature cooler.

guess what.....

No drips. :blush: B)

I am wondering if it was either condensation building up (it was rather warm this morning) or perhaps water coming down from the bonnet after the the rain over the weekend - it was thrashing it down last night. It could have just been fluke that that is where it was showing up.

I checked the site glass and there was no bubbles when the AC is running, but the normal Spittle like discharge when the pump switches off. I'm uploading some vids; but I'm not sure how clear that bit will be. Still I might link them to eh timing chain threads to see what people think.

Still potentially good news there; I'll check again tomorrow when i come back from Laaandaan village.

I have 8 channel temperature (and I think it does voltage) datalogger dude :lol:

Will maybe use one of my other more basic temperature devices tomorrow afternoon.

What happened to old fashion fairy liquid around the pipes and see if it blows bubbles?!

:lol: Us Gas Safe plumbers have an aversion to fairy Liquid on account that is it illegal to use it for detecting leaks.

CJ, I am lethal around any tool website or brochure. Thank god for Tax dedctions ;).

:lol: Us Gas Safe plumbers have an aversion to fairy Liquid on account that is it illegal to use it for detecting leaks.

CJ, I am lethal around any tool website or brochure. Thank god for Tax dedctions ;).

Are all types of Fairy illegal or is it just the extra soft hands type, and why out of interest? Can you use supermarket own brands instead :lol:

Washing up liquid in general contains chemicals that eat through copper, so it was banned for use on gas as if it seeped into the pipe it would cause a leak.

:lol: just give them a good rinse bud...

Can;t remember if it is chlorine or fluorine that is the culprit on the corrosion thing but still......

Right oh, wifey dear got home after a drive front St Albans, and I had a closer look. It seems the leak is coming from the the nut and union that joins the hose to the receiver pipe.

It appear to be coming from Behind the union (on the side with the "L" cap) which is odd as that is welded and unlikely to leak. But is could be water capillarying through the thread because of an O-ring failure and running down the hose to the crimp connection. Either way - that is just a 5/8's O-ring in there, so I may just take it to my local guy and get him to change that and regas. I doubt it was condensation as the rest of the aluminium pipe to the receiver was bone try as was the rubber hose part.

Breakers were getting back to me with £108 pounds delivered for a second hand hose - if HH are doing it for £150 then I might as well get new and have the peace of mind. One breaker wanted me to send him a picture even though I have requested "Honda part number 80311SEFE12, AC Suction Hose ". Not very inspiring that :lol:

Still pretty sure it is just an O-ring failure. Gonna get one ordered from HH along with my rear brakes, service kits, and slider pins. Was gonna get a slave cylinder, but funds just won't allow with a while. HH wanted £130 for the hose complete or £4 for the ring.

Fingers crossed eh? :D

Not yet - it is not what it was though. I could just be condensation, but an extreme case!

It would have probably packed up by now if it was a leak thats all. Still best just get the o ring if your planning on a regass and get it done for peace of mind.

My thoughts exactly... and why I ain't changing the whole hose. My local garage will regas for £30 odd if there are other works as well - which will be rear brake refurb (with new discs and pads from HH), 6 new tyres to fit and possibly a clutch slave cylinder, but that will depend heavily on funds - blown a grand on car/van servicing and maintenance this month so far.
:eek: :eek:

Ouch I know the feeling just did rear discs and pads the other month front discs and pads last week its almost due an oil change then there is the mot in a few weeks and the insurance is due at the same time. Can't believe I will have had her a year next month! Oh and then its knocking like a trooper from the back end on bumpy roads :(

Gutted hedgehogs dude!