What's new

A slight rattle sound from the steering column

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Guys iv had this slight rattle sound coming from the front of the car.Its like a baby's rattle and sounds like its coming from the steering column inside the car.
Its not that load so i cant video it and it only happens then the car drives over drain covers and uneven roads.
Its hard to pin point where is coming from as it could be anywhere to be honest.
Any advice welcome

Sure its from the steering column? Im thinking as you only got a few miles on your beast, i would think it might be just a front right roll bar link? Cant think of anything else mechanically at the low mile stage that would already go bad, i dunno, see what else people chime in with

You might be right Marcus the noise has been there for a wile and the car is now on 33k.
Its due a service in 1.5k so i will mention this to them.

As Marcus said or maybe disc dust shields bent or a stone lodged in.

Brett,

I had a similar rattle thats only heard either at low engine revs (diesel) or over rough road conditions.

Had a poke around and found that both the bottom kick panel was loose. On top of that further poking found a wiring loom touching the steering column plastic covers, I cable tied this away and all was well for a while but now I have a different rattle in the dash.

I dont fancy either Honda or me pulling the dash apart as it will no doubt make it worse or cause another one.

Thanks guys i will do some investigating.

Ok guys just an update on the rattle.I did an experiment today as i have the feeling the rattle was coming from the bonnet.
I was right as i packed out the bonnet with some cloths and drove the car and the noise has stopped.
I will try and dig out the TSB for the upgraded bonnet rubber and get to the dealers for a fix.

Hear you go i found this.

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92638/hood-not-good-vibrations

On my car, the bonnet bumpstops on both front corners are adjustable, are they on yours? If so wind them up accordingly.

On my car, the bonnet bumpstops on both front corners are adjustable, are they on yours? If so wind them up accordingly.
No mate there push fit i think but will have a check tomorrow mate :(
But the good thing its not serious and is an easy fix with the upgraded rubber.