What's new

A small niggle :)

JakeWhite

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 Vtec '99
Hi all,
So I'm really liking my accord at the mo, the only thing bugging me is a slight knocking noise from the drivers front wheel area, it only does it when rolling along without my foot on the accelerator, as soon as I accelerate or brake, it stops and all is normal? The best way to describe it is it sounds like the wheel of fortune (LOL!) as I slow down (with no pedals active) it slows down too, but as I say, as soon as I hit the gas or brake, all gone?? Any ideas guys? It doesn't affect the braking, the handling and the steering is still straight as an arrow, no steering wheel shudder or anything, just this noise?

Have you checked the condition of that tyre it might be defected in some way.
Look for the obvious 1st and its a process of elimination.

Have you checked the condition of that tyre it might be defected in some way.
Look for the obvious 1st and its a process of elimination.
Yeah it's almost new (all the tyres are), no rubbing on the inside wall and no evidence of rubbing on the arch liner. I'll get it up in the air on saturday and hopefully get a better look then. But feel free to carry o with the suggestions guys :)

A stone caught in the tyre tread maybe?
The sound is too 'clunky' to be a small stone, also if it were a stone it would be there all the time, but the sound only happens when no pedals are being used, as soon as I brake or accelerate, the sound completely disappears.

I would get each wheel off the ground and check for any excess play. Hold the wheel at 12 and 6 and wobble. Then at 9 and 6. There should not be much movement at all. Next thing I would suspect would be ARB links. Quite cheap to replace as a DIY. There are a few DIY guides on here which show how to replace them.

Cheers bud, I will check that on saturday, I dug out the advisory sheet to see if anyone thought these would be linked:
At first it was failed on:
-Offside front wheel bearing rough when rotated.

The owner then had this rectified and the vehicle was passed with these advisories:
-Nearside & Offside anti-roll bar has slight play in a pin/bush.
-Nearside front anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint.

The thing that is still stumping me though is that the noise only occurs when none of the pedals are being used, when going above approx. 20mph it almost sounds like the disc is rubbing on the pads but when I slow right down, it's more of a "Click, Click,Click" Sound???? Also, I played with cruise control last night, and when in cruise control, the noise is there, as soon as I put my foot down it disappears? It almost seems to me that when the pedals aren't active there is a slack cable rubbing on the wheel or moving component, then when I use one of the pedals it picks up the slack hence the noise disappears?

But with the CV joint wouldn't it be clicking all the time? Also don't CV Joints tend to make a noise when accelerating?

Could I also point out that this noise doesn't occur when I'm turning corners (which is usually a good sign the CV is on it's way out?)

*** Problem solved! It turns out the garage who did the wheel bearing for the MOT, didn't even have the common sense to tighten up the wheel nuts correctly! (I could un-do them with one finger!!!!!). Consequently, all the other 3 wheels were as solid as a rock.

school boy error on the garage's behalf!

I know, I was in 2 minds as to calling the garage up and giving them hell! It literally seems as if someone has done them up JUST finger tight! One was all but ready to drop out completely. As you say, it could've been a catastrophic mistake, especially if a wheel flew off going down the motorway at peak times (which I often do).

Given that it was actually loose enough to make a noticeable noise, I suggest you visually inspect the theads, wheel nuts and wheel tapers very carefully for signs of damage.

:eek: Very shocked at the shoddy mistake that could have been life threatening.
Make sure you use a torque wrench and set them at 108n

Given that it was actually loose enough to make a noticeable noise, I suggest you visually inspect the theads, wheel nuts and wheel tapers very carefully for signs of damage.

Agree

I would get each wheel off the ground and check for any excess play. Hold the wheel at 12 and 6 and wobble. Then at 9 and 6. There should not be much movement at all. Next thing I would suspect would be ARB links. Quite cheap to replace as a DIY. There are a few DIY guides on here which show how to replace them.

I need to do this job myself and despite spending the last half hour searching I can't find any DIY guides for ARB link replacement on the sixth gen. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I don't recall seeing a guide on here as to how to replace them.

Is it just the ball that needs replacing?