What's new

A subtle fault

ROAD DETECTIVE

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mazda 3 Sport
This may be something or nothing. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. When accelerating in second gear between 1600-2500 revs there is a very slight vibration. It seemed to slightly rattle what I usually keep in the passenger door pocket. Most of the time you can just feel it, but strangely on the odd occasion you can't. It only happens in this gear and rev range. In all other gears and revs it is super smooth. On tickover also smooth. If you hold the revs in this range steady, no vibration. I think most drivers would not really know there is a problem, but it was not there before. I already have had a new clutch, DMF and offside driveshaft about 13k ago. I looked and found a fair bit of play in the N/S driveshaft, confirmed by my usual mechanic and so I have just had a new one fitted, along with getting the front wheels tracked. Still got that darn slight vibration exactly the same as before. I have done about 800mls since it first started and it has not got any worse. The car is on 90k. This car since I bought it early last year has cost me a small fortune! Knew I should have kept the super reliable CTR. Any experts got an opinion on the problem, or should I just ignore it until it either gets worse, or I get lucky and it stays the same. Anybody else got a long term slight vibration they have ignored and has caused no problems. I have read other posts where members have got something similar which they can't fully get rid of.

We had a similar thing on my daughters Astra, looked all over the shop to find it, eventually found the inside of the tyre wall was deformed, probably done by kerbing. New tyre job done!!

John this is not your passenger side door panel rattling is it.If so its a common thing.

Hi John & Brett
I have started to talk about this problem in the section ***led- gearbox half shaft play, as I saw other members describe the same sort of problem there. The car has now had two new front tyres anyway, so that is not the fault. It's also had two new driveshafts along with a new shaft support bearing. I have described the fault in far more detail in the other post. The car is now going on a rolling road some time in October to see if it can be solved with wheels turning and car stationary. It would be earlier but I am away most of September. This annoying problem is starting to drive me crazy. nodrogs has the same problem and he can't get to the bottom of it either. Thanks for the reply guys.

Hi John
It is not really a rattle. It is a mechanical vibration that gently shakes the engine at a certain speed in 1st, 2nd and you can if you start with the revs low enough, just feel it in 3rd. It only happens between 20-25mph under acceleration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

:lol: :lol: