What's new

A worrying discovery

kkelly77

Members
Reaction score
Car
CTDi Sport
I was doing an engine oil change on Thursday. Got the fully synthetic 0 W 30 from the local motor factors and a new oil filter from my local Honda dealer.

While doing the change, I was surprised to find the new filter was too big. Approx 25-30mm longer than the filter currently fitted. I ***umed the Honda dealer gave me the wrong filter. When I brought it back we discovered the new filter is the correct one for the '04 Accord and the filter that is in the car is the one for a '09 model :eek: This was a big shock. The engine number on the VIN plate matches that on the documentation. Honda told me the engine number is stamped on the engine but it's located on the back of the engine in front of the bulkhead.

Have I bought a 2004 car with a 2009 engine??! Surely not. Think of the expense it would have been to source and fit a 2009 engine. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Is it possible the housing the oil filter slides onto is from a '09 car? Is there anyway to confirm if the engine is from a '09 without having to physically check the number on the engine block? I'm seriously worried I've bought a car with a possible sketchy background.

K.

2009 engine is the iDtec, if it were a new one then it is a stock iCTDi - and around £10K unless it was a reconditioned one - £2K - £4K (plus fitting).

The correct filter for your engine is Honda Part Number 15430RBDE02.

I doubt a new engine would have been fitted to an 04 motor though. More likely that the last person to change the filter stuck the wrong one in.

Post a decent quality pic of the engine bay and someone will probably be able to confirm.

2009 engine is the iDtec, if it were a new one then it is a stock iCTDi - and around £10K unless it was a reconditioned one - £2K - £4K (plus fitting).

The correct filter for your engine is Honda Part Number 15430RBDE02.

I doubt a new engine would have been fitted to an 04 motor though. More likely that the last person to change the filter stuck the wrong one in.

Post a decent quality pic of the engine bay and someone will probably be able to confirm.

Cheers Dan. It does sound quite unbelievable to think someone put a '09 engine into a '04 car.

99% sure that was the part number on the replacement filter and I'm sure I had it fitted onto the housing correctly. But just couldn't thread the filter back on as it appeared the new filter was too long and prevented the housing from threading. Is there somewhere I could confirm the dimensions of a new filter?

I'll get a photo up ASAP.

K

Well the filter is the same for all ictdi engines, perhaps someone has put a different filter cap on? Are you sure you are ***embling the new kit properly?

Well the filter is the same for all ictdi engines, perhaps someone has put a different filter cap on? Are you sure you are ***embling the new kit properly?

Pull off the old filter.
3 old rubber O-rings off.
3 new rubber O-rings on.
Slide new filter on?

Always worth asking bud :D

This sounds to me the outer casing is to wrong one perhaps it came from a iDtec.
If so the original one might have been damaged and replaced with the wrong one from a scrap yard ;)

This sounds to me the outer casing is to wrong one perhaps it came from a iDtec.
If so the original one might have been damaged and replaced with the wrong one from a scrap yard ;)

That's all I can think of really... when you do the pics, add some close UPS of the filter cap.

sounds stupid but are you sure you pushed the filter on all the way in ?
It really does require a bit of force to get the filter to sit right back against the top of the filter housing.

there are two sizes of oil filter on the i-ctdi. the wrong filter may have been fitted previously as the smaller filter will fit the longer filters housing. later i-ctdi's had the shorter filters fitted (facelift). the i-dtec has the same filter as the later ictdi engines. there is no way an idtec engine part is fitted to your car

there are two sizes of oil filter on the i-ctdi. the wrong filter may have been fitted previously as the smaller filter will fit the longer filters housing. later i-ctdi's had the shorter filters fitted (facelift). the i-dtec has the same filter as the later ictdi engines. there is no way an idtec engine part is fitted to your car

Sounds like mystery solved!!!!

Aaahh..why did I only find the one part number then?

Still glad the mystery is resolved!

I m glad this is solved thanks to Beefy

Sorry for the late response lads and thanks for the replies.

Beefy, you said there's 2 different filter sizes for the pre facelift CTDi. Would there be any reason as to why my Honda dealer only has one filter type for my car?

I've attached a photo of the filter housing. HTH.

K.

My filter housing (pre-facelift) is smooth on the top, yours seems to have a bump? Also I've noticed on the filter packaging that there were two sizes drawn and a X through one of them. Must be two different filter sizes then ok.

I have in my hand at this very moment a filter cartridge for my 54 tourer diesel, on the box the part no reads 15430-RBD-E02 made in Austria 0709. and on the side of the box a drawing of said cartridge showing dimensions as 115mm tall and another showing 94mm tall, out of the box and on the actual filter reads OXI53/7 Made in Austria and measures 119mm long, what chance a poor parts manager got??

i wasnt sure whether the later accords were different to earlyer models off the top of my head. the problem lies with the fact there is two filter sizes for the ictdi. namely the larger one is fitted to the accord. the smaller is fitted to the civic and i-dtec. the top of the filter should sit almost flush with the middle o-ring once it is snapped/pushed into place. the only other suggestion is that the filer housing (that you screw down) has been replaced at some time because somone broke the original one. this may mean the incorrect/smaller filter fits the housing propperly but the filter housing is not correct for the car. the smaller hosuing will no doubt fit but i couldnt say whether it could cause any damage as i have not directly compared the two. its a difficult one to sort out without phisicaly inspecting it myself or at leist see a picture of the filter fitted.
if honda state you require a (large filter) for your car and a (small filter) only fits then i suggest your filter housing has been replaced at some time for whatever reason with the incorrect one. it is upto yourself if your happy leaving the one you have in there. regards will it cause problems, i realy caunt say other than the filters are longer for a reason.

Well that makes a little more sense - I will go downstairs and measure my filter cover now... Whilst my mobile phone once again deletes my entire company's schedule from office computer a-frigging-gain
suicide2.gif

IMAG0056.jpg

Sorry about the pants quality...

IMAG0055.jpg

by the way..............you did remove the filter and compare against the new one you were given i presume? as in separate it from the filter holder? a picture could tell a thousand words here. if this is the first time you have carried out a filter change, all this may well stem out of confusion and you may have the correct filter afterall.

by the way..............you did remove the filter and compare against the new one you were given i presume? as in separate it from the filter holder? a picture could tell a thousand words here. if this is the first time you have carried out a filter change, all this may well stem out of confusion and you may have the correct filter afterall.

Compared and confirmed.

Having said that, I would like to get the "correct" filter and try again to make sure.