ABS Light on

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapper69

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 2.0l ES GT
I have a 2003 2 litre vtec Accord which is hovering around the 100k mark. A few weeks ago the ABS light came on and has stayed on ever since. I wasn't overly bothered, but with my annual service and MOT due, something has to be done. I've booked it in for ****ysis later this week and I would like to think that it's just a wiring problem, but realistically I'll be happy if it's a sensor, therefore, does anybody know how much sensors are and if they can be bought for less than Honda dealer price?

Is the vsa light on too? (just checking) Most likely a sensor, and usually its always the n/s/r iirc. Still get it diagnosed anyway to make doubly sure. You can buy a tsx part from America for about half the price of a UK part I'm sure. A local boy (p44arv) did it a few months ago so worthy of a search on here.

Paul please search as this has been covered so many times.
You can probably get one for a petrol as well .
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/356-diy-abs-sensor-change/

abs light is not a MOT failure I believe, just as a srs light is not.
I could be wrong but it might be worth a google.

Blue Guru: The only light on is the ABS.

Brett: I looked through the posts before posting but didn't see anything, maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I did look.

Bodge: My local MOT tester, who is also a mate, says it is, and I trust him. He's the guy who will be testing it.

yep basic, ABS system check is part of MOT. They do this simply by turning ignition off then on again. They know the the ABS light shoud light (bulb check) then go out.
If it stays on, the system is telling the driver there is a problem = automatic MOT failure.
As the guys have said do a search, most likely the ABS sensor...

VSA light is not a failure, ABS is - it has been discussed a few times before.

Have a search bud - been covered here several times....

Paul read the link i gave you it clearly states where and how Fahad got his from.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, my MOT is due in 4 days so I don't have time to source parts from abroad. There are 1 or 2 places in the UK, but they only seem to have front ones, what is it with rear sensors and why are the Honda ones so f*****g expensive. I've been looking online and they range from £25 to £80, but nothing like Hondas price. My mate is going to price one for me tomorrow. I really don't need this along with a service, MOT and tax at the end of the month.

I just looked on the U.S. site linked from the other thread. They don't seem to recognise the Accura TSX as a model so I looked at the TL and they don't list the Left Rear for that model Great.

Dude, you have had a few weeks to get it sorted. Don't want to sound harsh or anything, but....

Where did you see one for £25?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, my MOT is due in 4 days so I don't have time to source parts from abroad. There are 1 or 2 places in the UK, but they only seem to have front ones, what is it with rear sensors and why are the Honda ones so f*****g expensive. I've been looking online and they range from £25 to £80, but nothing like Hondas price. My mate is going to price one for me tomorrow. I really don't need this along with a service, MOT and tax at the end of the month.

Point taken if you cant get one my friend its dealers only then.I no there expensive but you need it for the mot then there is no other choice if you intend to drive the car.

I meant that I was looking for sensors for the Honda amongst many other sensors, I think that the £25 one was for a seat or VW. Believe me if It had been for the Honda the seller would have lost a couple of fingers as I snatched it from his hand.

Hey Dan, if only I had your 20/20 hindsight|||| Why, I could probably win the euromillions and then I could afford Hondas prices.

No point giving me attitude Paul... Hindsight is where you gain knowledge AFTER the fact. You knew you had a problem that would mean MOT failure (and by implication have since been driving a dangerous vehicle) several weeks ago, so it's no use bleating on about not being able to afford Honda prices when you could have had a cheaper one sent over from the states by now.

Sorry, but that's the fact of the matter. A lesson learnt yes? Well that's hindsight for you.

Paul if you cant afford Honda prices why buy a Honda ;)
There prices might be high but as to lots of other makes of cars they rarely go wrong.
Also on most occasions you need to buy from dealer anyway.
Also could we keep this on topic and not make silly comments to members that are trying to help or this thread will be closed.

Sorry bud.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, my MOT is due in 4 days so I don't have time to source parts from abroad. There are 1 or 2 places in the UK, but they only seem to have front ones, what is it with rear sensors and why are the Honda ones so expensive. I've been looking online and they range from £25 to £80, but nothing like Hondas price. My mate is going to price one for me tomorrow. I really don't need this along with a service, MOT and tax at the end of the month.

I just looked on the U.S. site linked from the other thread. They don't seem to recognise the Accura TSX as a model so I looked at the TL and they don't list the Left Rear for that model Great.

To be honest Paul

As already said in the time frame a dealer is really the only real option if you want it to pass.
Give our affilated dealer in Stoke a call, don't forget to obtain the code from one of the admin, details are in the Holdcroft Honda section on the main forum, you maybe able to get it all sorted with as little pain as possible.

However one other saving grace that you may have if you act quickly enough, but you would have to way up the cost over the inconvenience of it all is to order the part (once you have located one in your price range from the US ) put it through the MOT, which will generate a fail, however unless things have changed , you will get either 7 or 14 days to get the failure corrected and still be legal, of course you'd have to get the part fitted yourself.

Maybe someone can clarify this.

I think your correct there Carl but the best way to double check is on the back of your old MOT certificate.

I don't see why I should have to get parts from America, where the Accord isn't an Accord, it's an Accura, and they don't appear to list the part I need anyway.

My brakes work great, the only time that the ABS ever worked in the time I've owned it was in the snow and it still didn't stop me going straight across an island. At 10 miles an hour.

I only recently found out that it was an MOT failure.

I started this thread because I couldn't find what I wanted by searching and looking through the threads and because I needed help. I did NOT start it to get talked down to and lectured. If you do that I bite back, one of the downsides to being a Grumpy Old Fart.

I bought my car 4 years ago because my wife and I both liked it, i did not study the parts prices first. That said it has been very reliable until now, only 2 anti roll bar mountings breaking and the front brakes needing relining. Ok the price of oil seems a bit high but it doesn't use any between services so that's ok.

In 4 years I've done 52,000 miles and I have enjoyed driving it every day on my daily commute, but that doesn't mean that I can't ***** about the prices that Honda charge when it does go wrong. Thank god I've got a mate with his own garage cos I'd hate to have work done by Honda. That said I wouldn't mind another Honda.

Blue Guru and carlnike, thanks for your suggestions, at least you offered something constructive.

This site is nothing like the HAOC site that I joined when I bought the car. So if you want to close the thread because of my " attitude " then feel free because I'm not likely to come back.

Better still give him a ring and if your anywhere near windsford call and see him he's brilliant with honda's and i'd recommend him to any one you'll just have to put up with his singing though. He's quite partial to it lol

Sorry CJM , your reply snuck in while I was typing my diatribe. I went to the US site but couldn't find the TSX, I looked at the TL but they only had the 3 that I didn't want. Thanks for making me look a bit silly by being helpful.

To show I am not totally devoid of heart:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TSX-04-08-Accord-Euro-Rear-Left-ABS-Speed-Sensor-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aAcuraQ7cModelQ3aTSXQQhashZitem51996f3f06QQitemZ350466555654QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08-ACURA-TSX-OEM-LH-REAR-SPEED-ABS-SENSOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a105fcedaQQitemZ180663340762QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Not sure how that compares to UK prices or how quick shipping would be...

I don't see why I should have to get parts from America, where the Accord isn't an Accord, it's an Accura, and they don't appear to list the part I need anyway.

My brakes work great, the only time that the ABS ever worked in the time I've owned it was in the snow and it still didn't stop me going straight across an island. At 10 miles an hour.

I only recently found out that it was an MOT failure.

I started this thread because I couldn't find what I wanted by searching and looking through the threads and because I needed help. I did NOT start it to get talked down to and lectured. If you do that I bite back, one of the downsides to being a Grumpy Old Fart.

I bought my car 4 years ago because my wife and I both liked it, i did not study the parts prices first. That said it has been very reliable until now, only 2 anti roll bar mountings breaking and the front brakes needing relining. Ok the price of oil seems a bit high but it doesn't use any between services so that's ok.

In 4 years I've done 52,000 miles and I have enjoyed driving it every day on my daily commute, but that doesn't mean that I can't ***** about the prices that Honda charge when it does go wrong. Thank god I've got a mate with his own garage cos I'd hate to have work done by Honda. That said I wouldn't mind another Honda.

Blue Guru and carlnike, thanks for your suggestions, at least you offered something constructive.

This site is nothing like the HAOC site that I joined when I bought the car. So if you want to close the thread because of my " attitude " then feel free because I'm not likely to come back.

Paul mate,

I think things may have got off on the wrong foot here, I know none of the guys would want to intentionally offend and please trust me they all genuinely want to help.

With the "use the search comments", it is often used when a particular issue has been discussed quite a few times, so to try an minimise threads of similar topics.

It is however the case that the general search facility seems to need specifics, however just above it you will see a google custom search, which one of the admin Alnug setup, which certainly in my opinion is much better at locating the threads.

I would say this forum is much better than the old THAOC site, in my opinion much friendlier, equally it is also a little bit stricter on rules, such as swearing etc , but all for which makes a altogether better resource.

I'm sure part of all this, is down to the pressure, caused by the limited amount of time you have to solve this issue and of course your after quick answers to get the problem sorted in time and if as you say your a G.O.F which I can relate to :D then sometime tolerances can strain!

Anyhow I hope you can move on from this and enjoy and come part of the community we all have here

Good luck in getting it sorted

hear hear :D

Status
Not open for further replies.