What's new

ABS VSA module detached

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
I wonder if anyone can help. After a slightly humpy road and small bash on the underside of the front bumper a mass crash of the electrical system happened where all the ABD VSA power steering and big ! lights came on and also my brake lights! A clear of the codes brought up that the 'module cannot be read as has become detached'. Has anyone had this before at all? The concerning bit is the brake lights being on even when the car is off and locked so i may get a flat battery!

A bulb can flatten a battery overnight so might be worth disconnecting the negative terminal until you get sorted out.

You need to get a light under there to check where the problem is.

I had a cut in the loom on a Nissan Vanette, road damage just behind the front wheel on the drivers side, which looked suspiciously like the previous owner had run over a high kerb.

Cliffordski said:
A bulb can flatten a battery overnight so might be worth disconnecting the negative terminal until you get sorted out.
HI - should i not disconnect the live and leave the negative in place or is that a daft thing to do?

hale-pope said:
HI - should i not disconnect the live and leave the negative in place or is that a daft thing to do?
It doesn't make much difference, but the -ve is usually easier to access.
As already implied, it sounds like there's a serious electrical fault and you need to identify what has been dislodged (wiring, earthing points, modules)

The negative battery terminal is safer to remove than the positive terminal... if the spanner being used to loosen the positive connection accidentally brushes against something metal on the car during the removal then there'll be a giant spark! For the same reason, during battery removal the negative connection should be removed first (and then reconnected last during refitting).

I'm guessing that the shock of the collision has shaken loose a connector somewhere? Best to spend time disconnecting and reconnecting every connector you can find!