What's new

AC problem

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys!

About a few months ago, when I turn-on the AC, I ear a weird noise that looks something knocking on something, not a metallic noise, almost like a bet hitting something. After a while the noise goes away and the AC seems to be working ok, at least it was making cold.

Today, I decided to look at the AC compressor with the AC turned-on. At first, I saw the AC compressor clutch engaging and the AC radiator fan turning-on as well as the weird noise. After a while, I was surprised that the fan turned-of and the clutch disengaged. I decided to let it working a few more minutes and it turned-on again, and after a while, it turned-off again...

I have been reading, and it seems the our Accord have pressure sensor, and when the pressure of the gas is too low, it turns off the AC to prevent any damage to the AC compressor.

Could the lack or low level of gas in the AC system explain the weird behaviour of the AC system?

Today, when I tested it, it was not too cold, about 16ÂșC. Any way, this is way lower temperature that we can set our AC. Could this explain why the AC compressor was turning on and off, since the temperature inside the car was probably higher than the temperature that the AC was set?

if the clutch ran constantly there would be a small explosion as the preasure gets too high. the click you can hear and possible slight hesitation from the engine is the compressor clutch engaging. the slight change in revs/hesitation is due to the extra load on the engine when the clutch engages. but to sum up, its supposed to turn on and off

if the clutch ran constantly there would be a small explosion as the preasure gets too high. the click you can hear and possible slight hesitation from the engine is the compressor clutch engaging. the slight change in revs/hesitation is due to the extra load on the engine when the clutch engages. but to sum up, its supposed to turn on and off

Ok, that's good news, at least it's working as it should be.

Still, that noise is bugging me I tried to record it in a video, but it's not noticeable... Tomorrow I will try to capture it again.

Could the noise be related to the clutch starting to get worn, and the noise be the clutch slipping?