What's new

Ac question and self diagnostics

Aurimasas

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2005 2.2
Hi guys,
Noticed that diesels have a lot of problems with AC. Its 2nd summer that I'm fighting with my AC. Last summer I have changed the radiator and pressure switch (had working ac for about 2 months). Now I have changed expansion magnetic valve (or some sh like that) and noticed that it still blows neutral not cold wind. Also, before when AC was turned on used to feel it and see it on REV's now - nothing. Last question, I have read in these forums that there are some kind of AC self diagnosis? Maybe someone can help me with this stuff? Thanks a lot

I am not smart enough to understand the part where you need to check temperature numbers and letters. This is what I got. My accord is LHD btw. Sorry for multiple posts but I am desperate to find out what is happening with my A/C :(

Is the compressor engaging when you turn it on with the panel switches ?

As you say if there is no drop in engine speed when the display shows it is on then I would start with checking the voltages through the relay and fuse(s) under the bonnet

Very interesting thing happened. After my last post AC started to engage and worked perfectly. Yesterday morning once again it was not turning on. I put AC on max and moved the sensor (in front of the radiator) with hand and it started to work again! This morning - same thing, it was not working until I moved it. I think these sensors are very problematic because I have changed it last year and now it looks like that problem is with the sensor once again. I am going to AC guy next week to check it out so will keep you updated. You can try to do the same thing if your AC is not detonating/turning on. You should hear it loud and clear when it turns on since compressor starts to kick in.

If you have replaced it recently and you are still having issues, then check the connector and the radiator rubber mounts for excessive play.

My car has had a knock on the front left by a previous owner, (clues - the bright headlight glass, change in paint behind , plus a couple of missing poppers on the grill ) and it is also the top mount has a grommet that has never fitted well.

And I forgot that when I first bought the car, I noticed a broken cable on a connector going to the front of the radiator (driver's side), which looked like a resistive component at the point where there are two aluminium pipes and a junction.

There are two connectors, one grey, one white each with two wires inside then, I can't recall which one it was though I think this had a brilliant white interior. Anyway I repaired the joint with a soldering iron after removing the grill and scarring the back of my fingers on the VSA stability block next to it, made good the conduit the cables are fitted in and,...... it made no difference to the air con.

So a small update - all summer I was playing with the connector, moving it, pushing it until it started to work. Now I am not using AC for about 3 weeks and I can hear it working everytime I turn the wind on :)

so two options : or it got fixed somehow (thank you, Lord) or last time I moved the sensor it is in the right position. Maybe wires are not in the right position. Funny that AC started to work properly when the summer is over.. :)

Simplest way to test your compressor clutch is to run a fly lead from the battery positive terminal directly onto the compressor positive terminal. If you can hear and see the pulley engaging then clutch is ok.

Likely issues are loss of refrigerant, faulty pressure sensor or faulty relay. Process of elimination I’m afraid.