What's new

Accident on sunday

Roberts14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Was waiting in traffic and suddenly had this whack from behind, i got out the car for the lady to say that she hit the accelorator instead of the brake lol (god knows) but anyway she hit the left hand side on the rear bumper tight near the left reflector, dont seem much damage on the bumper a couple of scratches and paint crack and chips, but when i looked underneath it seems to me the shunt bar has squished all the way back. Funbey enough she works for a conpany called auto repair so they will be fixing it all. Apparently all the work is gauranteed. Is there anything i should look out for? It seemed like quite a big hit by the feel of it. Also what kinda cost it would be to repair something like that? Its all getting done for free but just worried they wont fix it properly and the boot might be crumbled.

Why didn't you go through your insurance? It wouldn't have cost you anything if it was her fault. You have to tell them anyway, so you're taking a risk for no apparent gain.

Bad luck dude. You can bring it to another garage and get an ***essment done, then see what their repair shop says. Also insist on oem parts parts, get it done right and don't sign anything until your happy!

The reason i didnt go through insurance is because ive never had to do a claim and just wanna keep my insurance all clean being 21 its costing me £700 a year as it is and knowing indurances they will put it up anyway even though its not my fault but yeah i will make sure its done properly. The guy is coming round to have a look at it thursday and going to take the bumper off so will ask him loads of questions before anything goes ahead.

The reason i didnt go through insurance is because ive never had to do a claim and just wanna keep my insurance all clean being 21 its costing me £700 a year as it is and knowing indurances they will put it up anyway even though its not my fault but yeah i will make sure its done properly. The guy is coming round to have a look at it thursday and going to take the bumper off so will ask him loads of questions before anything goes ahead.

I had a similar rear end shunt recently. Fairly minor looking, but I imagine the bumper was hiding the full extent of the damage. The bumper was damaged as was the boot lid. The inner crush bar was bent, the plastic under tray was buckled suggesting something has moved and stayed that way. There was slight deformation of the lower right boot aperture meaning the tailgate was 'sprung' -it would open and close, but not as nicely as it should.

Anyhow when I got home THEIR insurance (Admiral) rang me (not what I was expecting at all) saying it was an open and shut case, their fault and could they handle the repair. Going through my insurance would cost everyone time and money, when they could deal with the whole thing quickly and cleanly. After mulling it over I agreed. I had to notify my insurance, but instructed them not to pursue the claim.

My car was given an initial visual repair ***essment of £2300. At that figure I fully expected a write off. Anyhow, they agreed to repair it subject to the damage not being more extensive once the bumper was off. Had I reversed into a bollard or something, I would probably lived with the damage. The '05 is getting long in the tooth and as much as I love it, that sort of money is silly.

That was three weeks ago. Once the bumper was off the cost rose 'slightly' (I don't know by how much) which called for a new authorisation before they could proceed. Two weeks ago (much to my surprise) Admiral agreed, so as far as I know the work is under way. I'm due to get the Accord back next Friday or sooner with a fully warrantied repair. Time will tell what it looks like...

As an aside the Megane I was given as a loaner was truly awful. I've never really liked Renault, but never actually driven one. Just horrible. How it got passed the first design meeting is beyond me. And then they go and stick a load of 'features' on as though somehow that fixes the underlying poor design (I could write an extensive list). Luckily one of the rear seat belts was faulty meaning it had to go back :p I'm now in a bottom of the range Hyundia I30. And you know, I rather like it. I miss the leather, the space, the climate control, the cruise, the turbo (it's a 1.2 petrol with zero power that makes an economical 48mpg -the same as my 2.2 diesel!)

As for your case, I'd be concened that if the body shop are doing it for free they'll do as cheap a job as possible.

Thanks for that matt, this auto repair company are a big company all round the country apparently so thats why im not to concerned but obviously i need to check into it more, just dont wanna balls my insurance up for the next how ever long even though its not me claiming.

get it done on the condition they give you a full detailed receipt and the opportunity in writing to have a third party access carried out work, if the third party has any concerns... well

Anyone had any experience with them, its called auto restore. Lifetime warranty with all work and in partnership with autoglass.

Two options well three.

use them, but first have in writing what they will repair and costs involved then get your own estimate and compare.

go through a accident management company- I know but they have they're uses.

report to your insurer and have them deal.

their is a fourth option, report it to her insurance and if they deal direct have them repair the vehicle.

personally I would avoid option 1 and prefer reporting to her insurer direct thus your happy, costs are kept to a minimum and you have done your duty by mitigating your costs.

You can use your own garage for repairs too.

A couple of scratches on the bumper surprisingly. Must have some strong bumpers on these accords.

with that rear bar shoved into the actual body like that, it could be a Cat C write-off if it went through insurance (depending on age of car)

edit: I can't think of a sinple way for it to be pulled out either

Needs a proper bodyshop to fix that. could be a write-off depending on how bent it is

Ive been told it probably eill be a write off being a 2003 plate been quoted £800 for the damage. Its hardly touched it tbh looks worse in the pictures. But this place is going to straighten it and put a new bar on it, and fix the bumper. Also get a courtesy car. Really trying to avoid the insurance because i dont want to het stung next renewal only being 21 years old. Costs me £700 as it is with no claims or points with 3 years no claims.

Roberts14 said:
Ive been told it probably eill be a write off being a 2003 plate been quoted £800 for the damage. Its hardly touched it tbh looks worse in the pictures. But this place is going to straighten it and put a new bar on it, and fix the bumper. Also get a courtesy car. Really trying to avoid the insurance because i dont want to het stung next renewal only being 21 years old. Costs me £700 as it is with no claims or points with 3 years no claims.
Unfortunately you almost certainly will get stung by your insurer at the next renewal, as they usually load policies in respect of 'no fault' incidents... they still hold you responsible to some extent (for being there, or maybe not being defensive enough?).

And you do have to tell them, as if they subsequently find out then your insurance will become invalid unless you pay them an unfairly massive amount of back premium (this happened to my nephew last year).

Jon_G said:
Unfortunately you almost certainly will get stung by your insurer at the next renewal, as they usually load policies in respect of 'no fault' incidents... they still hold you responsible to some extent (for being there, or maybe not being defensive enough?).
crikey I didn't know that :eek:

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Getting it repaired outside insurance might be the best idea in this case, but t[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]hat bar and bracket on the body is there to absorb energy, a repair needs to be done properly before the energy from another larger impact ripples into the boot and rear seat area (i[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]f it did get an official cat-C write-off it might be difficult to insure again without a thorough examination of the body)[/SIZE]

Yeahh i thought that was the case, i know i should tell the insurance but i feel like i shouldnt het punished for a women that decides to bump into me in traffic, the car has been examined and isnt bad at all, he said it isnt anything to worry about and they will repair it. I would say it hasnt even going in a quarter of an inch so its not bad at all the impact beam took all the shunt. If its not repaired properly then i will complain but i would rather not go through insurance because of that reason.