What's new

accord 2.4 ex auto

Mike c

Members
Reaction score
Car
CR V 2.0 EX
Hi guys
I am currently running a 2009 ESGT DTEC manual and having only recently been made aware of the problems with the DPF ( I do a lot of very short runs) I am considering swapping to a 2009 2.4 vtec petrol EX auto.
What are the members opinions on the proposed car compared to my DTEC manual?
I have investigated the insurance side of life and this compares surprisingly quite well and having looked at the various road test reports on the net the fuel seems to be around 30mpg. Only doing short trips will obviously not help this much but as I only do around 9k per year, and taking into account the difference in the price between petrol and diesel, I can probably live with this. Having not driven a 2.4 Ex auto I have no idea how smooth the car runs and how the performance would compare with my current car. I am unaware of any known problems with the car. I have a particular car in mind which has done just over 19000 miles from new (one owner).
Your comments would be appreciated.

I've a 7th gen, but have driven 8th gen. I'd take an 8th gen over the 7th if I could afford to. You'll have a fantastic motor, super comfortable, super sporty feeling, super practical, super reliable. but for the love of God, get a manual. It will be more fuel efficient and more fun ;) .

Hi

We have a VIII gen 2.4 ex auto Tourer. Generally it's a great car to live with. A nice smooth auto even with 5 gears (we have 7G Merc e-class) it's always smooth and easy to drive. Switch it to sport and use the paddles and it's fairly quick. Although not amazingly so for 200bhp.

Otherwise it's very easy to live with. MrsT does about 5miles each way each day and gets about 30mpg. No way I'd have a diesel for those sort of regular short trips. Occasionally I leave the merc at home and take the Accord on one of my longer motorway trips and you can get 37-39mpg on the M-way.

considered a pushbike? :)
sobering thought is i just worked out i will do over 31000 miles per year just commuting from home to office :( not to even consider work mileage

When the evenings get lighter MrsT does cycle to work. There is a great cycle path all the way or you can off-road the whole way (she's got a bling Orange fuss suspension bike). She's a fair weather cyclist though :rolleyes:

My commute, although I only got to the office once a week max, is 98 miles each way.

She's a fair weather cyclist though :rolleyes:

My commute, although I only got to the office once a week max, is 98 miles each way.
sounds like me. i only get on the bike with a favourible wind :)
im trying to wangle more working from home myself. now my employers (govt arm) have got the contract for my county i hope to spend 60% of my time locally :)

Thanks for info guys, I had a look at the car on Saturday and it is a great looking car (Milano red) but a closer look revealed a number of chips on the body - too many . I am too fussy I know. I doubt I will be going ahead with the deal. The inside looked a bit tired too.
On the cycling front, you are probably right , however this year I will be 60 and you should see the hills around my house.- know what I mean.

Mike if you can find one go for a 2.4 manual as you will get better mpg and there quicker

Thanks for info guys, I had a look at the car on Saturday and it is a great looking car (Milano red) but a closer look revealed a number of chips on the body - too many . I am too fussy I know. I doubt I will be going ahead with the deal. The inside looked a bit tired too.
On the cycling front, you are probably right , however this year I will be 60 and you should see the hills around my house.- know what I mean.

hi mike, just been browsing forum and came across your post re 2.4 auto , i think i looked at the same car that you considered, 19000 miles milano red etc it was at jt hughes shrewsbury for a while and whilst from a distance it looked stunning , up close it was as rough as hell, every panel seemed scratched or chipped and i also had resevations that the paint would fade over time.dealer tried every trick in book to get me to buy it including partial respray and paint protection but i refused even though price was attractive in the end. eventually i found 2.4 auto in buran silver with adas kit ,08 plate with less than 10000 miles at two mills hond on the wirral. showroom condition and drives like new .returns average 33 mpg upto 39 on motorway runs following STFC ps are you the mike from telford who posts on the blue and amber forum?