What's new

Accord 7th 2.2 I-CDTI 2004, new owner, weird engine nosie- please help to diagnose

pegaz666

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord ICDTI
Hello everybody,
I've just got the 7th generation of accord (the end of 2004') since last 2 weeks - milage: 119k. It's got the full service history till 2010 done at honda's dealer + 4 years in independent service station. I got it from an elder guy (2nd owner) first owner was his son (a manager in honda's dealer so I ***ume he had everything done properly with the car). The man I got it from said that the exhaust manifold has been done and something with the timing chain. All of that as a recall or something. As far as I understood him correctly there were some gears changed on the timing chain. Car is in great condition , runs/accelerates fine but.... but there is one thing that drills my mind. The engine produces some weird noise. There is no rattling, rubbing or anything it just sounds like my fathers 96' corolla 1.6 petrol engine within the range of 2-3k RPM. First thing I was advised was to remove one of the rolls and chenge AUX belt for a shorter one. While I was doing it with the belt completely removed I started the engine - that noise was still there so it's not the fault of belt/alternator/compressor etc. The sound definitely comes from under the cover of timing chain - left side of the engine if I stay in front of the car. This is how it sounds: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88706685/Silnik.mp3 - I've recorded it with a phone keeping it very close the timing chain lid so it's pretty clear and loud. Also I found someone on youtube having exactly the same issue but unfortunately couldn't get contact him at all. Please guys is there something that I should be worried about / do something about it? I've heard that noise straight away during the test drive but the guy I bought it of was apparently checking it before and they told him it's nothing to be worried about , and he said to me that he had it for 5 years like that without any issues. But this noise is driving me crazy and I wanna be 100% sure that everything is okay with the timing chain. Here is the youtube video with exactly the same problem like mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWmWhjocDOc

PS. Sorry for my English that was the best I could do ;)

My 2005 Accord recently had new chains (Febi, not Honda) and now makes a high-pitched whirring noise, but not quite as loudly as your car. I think the Accord in the YT clip is slightly quieter than yours, but slightly louder than mine.

I do not know what causes this sound to appear after having new chains fitted, but it is a very common. A Honda technician who sometimes posts on this forum has also experienced this after replacing his own chains and even refitted his original timing chain tensioner to see if that would cause the sound to stop (it didn't). It happens whether the sprockets are replaced or not, so is not related to mixing new/old sprockets and chains. I believe he came to the conclusion that is was the vacuum pump sprocket (driven by the timing chain) that caused the noise, possibly as this sprocket is never normally replaced.

Apparently the whirring sound gets worse with mileage.

Thank you for your reply Jon it was very helful. This makes sense - it seems to be happening after the timing chain change. The guy on youtube, mine one (had something done with the timing chain during the recall). I will let myself to attach some sounds from the cabin while I'm driving without the radio etc: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88706685/Engine_Cabin.mp3 . I kind of don't know what to do now... I went to honda dealer in London las saturday asking them to have it checked on warranty as I knew there was a typical problem with the timing chain on this hondas and they had a warranty extended. The guy said it's 125k miles or 7 years. I've done 119k miles but it's 11 years... He said he'll contact honda and ask them what they can do for me. Today I got the call back - I was speaking to the lady. She was trying to book an apointment for me saying that I have to drop off the car next week on monday, they will need my car for 3 days bla bla bla;/ , but she coulnd answer on the most important question that I've asked: wether this will be done as a warranty job or not. I know they will charge me millions for that so... I'm not gonna go for it as it will be much more than I've paid for the car if they wanna charge me for that. I'm a bit confused now what to do. I'm also a bit scared to not to get the car back in the worse condition as before potential repair...

PS. I wouldn't say that the car on youtube is louder than mine. This guy had to accelerate himself to record that noise. I asked my cusin so sit and accelerate when I was keeping my phone all the time close to AUX belt/ timing chain area when recording.

I'm after the visit at the dealers . We took a short drive with the technician before I left the car for a proper inspection, however he said he couldn't hear anything wrong (really?) he was saying maybe it's a turbine (c'mon everybody knows how the turbine sounds + the sound was coming from under the timing chain lid - turbine is in a different place. They asked me to leave the car for a further inspection using some tools etc. They called me 7 hours later that they couldn't find anything wrong with the chain as there is no rattle etc claiming that it might be the turbine. I wasn't surprised that they will turn me down as who wants to spend 3k pounds for a free repair? Anyway as I was informed later that they wouldn't do it under warranty as my car is older that 7 years. It should be 7 years or 125k miles whichever comes first. I'm sure it's not normal as before I got this car I was driving 2 other accords and haven't noticed that noise. So I'm in starting point again...

Before you throw yourself into the river try this! change the oil and filter use 0-30 fully synthetic and a proper Honda oil filter, it made a great deal of difference to mine, which had been previously looked after by a Honda dealership. Oil can be had from Lubetech at good discounts see the banner on this forum. get a bosch oli filter from you "freindly Honda dealer

I'm givin' up. Genuine Honda oil filter + fully synthetic Castrol edge 0w30 oil + engine flush before an oil change - no difference whatsoever. I guess that after chains have been done there is no solution what's making that horrible whining noise according to this thread: http://typeaccord.co...373#entry159373 .That's a shame cuz this engine is so nice and quiet just this ****** timing chain's whining noise ruining the silence...

I'm givin' up. Genuine Honda oil filter + fully synthetic Castrol edge 0w30 oil + engine flush before an oil change - no difference whatsoever. I guess that after chains have been done there is no solution what's making that horrible whining noise according to this thread: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13119-timing-chain-again/?pid=159373#entry159373 .That's a shame cuz this engine is so nice and quiet just this ****** timing chain's whining noise ruining the silence...

it is strange, after my car had the work it whined. I've heard Renault engines sound similar.

I always thought it was something to do with the injectors being replaced. But Jon who did the chain re used his so can't be that.

the noise didn't bother me, I quite like it lol