What's new

Accord Fan Not Working

JoelH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,

When I turn on the fan in my Accord (98) the fan does not engage. I am not sure how to continue we have not been able to find a manual that documents this model.

I have Googled this extensively - we have unscrewed the hinges on the glove box - but what I am presented with doesn't look anything like the pictures on the web.

I have attached a picture - anyone got any suggestions?

I forgot to add - this model also had air conditioning. I am led to believe the blower motor is on the left of the glove box - but some clarification would be great ( with pictures if possible).

Lings is quite a good site for a basic parts listing and layout, you might need to create and account then search for your specific model.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=2653

Check out Linas post for the manual.

Hello
Have you checked the basics like the fuses to ensure they are not blown? Have you also tried all the settings on the blower to check any of the levels work?
Sometimes the resistor pack that controls the motor speed can burn out. It happened to my sisters Micra where number 1 and 2 didn't work but 3 did.

Hello
Have you checked the basics like the fuses to ensure they are not blown? Have you also tried all the settings on the blower to check any of the levels work?
Sometimes the resistor pack that controls the motor speed can burn out. It happened to my sisters Micra where number 1 and 2 didn't work but 3 did.

Hello,

We have checed the fuse inside the engine compartment - we located it using the Honda Owners Manual (distributed with the car).

The fan currently doesn't work at any speed - does this rule out the resistor pack?

Kind Regards,
Joel

Check fuse 3 (7.5A) in driverside fuse box too..

FuseDriver_zps5734ee2f.jpg

if fuses are ok, then turn on ignition and fan at max, take multimeter and check for voltage at motor side of harness, (under glovebox).
Then you will know if it is power supply or motor fault.

Have you climate control on your car? if yes, then you can run self diagnostic on it too (instruction on manual).

We have had some progress. We find that the fan works when we bang the left side of the glove box. When you unscrewed the hinges of the glove box we see there is a fan unit on the left hand side - it appears that the fan is getting stuck - the bang seems to temporarily free it. My next question is can we disassemble the fan unit without the refrigerant from the air con escaping?