What's new

Accord rear enti-roll bar drop link broken

Tafia

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord diesel
Hi folks,

During a pre MOT check, it was found that the offside drop link to the rear anti roll bar on my 04 Accord diesel with 79000 miles had come apart at the bottom joint. It was swinging loose!

It looks like an easy DIY job to replace it but the only thing which concerns me is if the threads are rusted and I can’t get the link off.

Anyone had any experience with this happening or know if the replacement job is as simple as it looks. Is there anything I should be aware of?

When I replaced the anti-roll bar links on my ageing Volvo a few years ago, there was quite a precise torque to which the top nut had to be tightened to but that was because the process caused the top bushes to be compressed. The Honda link appears to just bolt on.

I have seen prices for a replacement which vary from over £50 + VAT ( looks expensive) to less than £9!

Anyone replaced one of these links?

Cheers

T.

I recently replaced my arb drop links in tourer, firstly I bought cheap set from ebay for 17 pound per pair and aftre few days
c9e3eb9f.jpg

so then I bought pair in andrew page for 50 pounds these were made by blue print and quality was totally different then this ones from ebay, so it's worth to spend more and get good quality
If it comes to replacement you may struggle to undo the nut especially that you need to use hex key to hold it and when it;s rusted you won't be able to do it so my advice is.. back of the joint, this part which is touching rollbar is round so use a file and make yourself it flat from two side so you can use a spanner to hold it, hopefully you know what I mean :D

I replaced mine 3 times already, last time with honda parts...I am still not sure if I did it properly as there is still some slight knocking present. Also bolts on each side are not of the same length, I took my chances and fitted it as I thought was correct. The hex socket inside that bolt is such a pain, I coudnt even tighten nuts properly , real pain.
Also when I replaced it for the first time it broke in such a way I had to drill my way out of it. Dan

Dan, did you replaced also bushes and still have that knocking sound? I've change both bushes and links and now is silence ;)

I recently replaced my arb drop links in tourer, firstly I bought cheap set from ebay for 17 pound per pair and aftre few days
c9e3eb9f.jpg

so then I bought pair in andrew page for 50 pounds these were made by blue print and quality was totally different then this ones from ebay, so it's worth to spend more and get good quality
If it comes to replacement you may struggle to undo the nut especially that you need to use hex key to hold it and when it;s rusted you won't be able to do it so my advice is.. back of the joint, this part which is touching rollbar is round so use a file and make yourself it flat from two side so you can use a spanner to hold it, hopefully you know what I mean :D

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide a picture. On mine, the bottom of the link has come away from the threaded section shown in your picture, as if the contents have come out of the cup at the end of the link.

Will have to take the wheel off to have a proper look. So the eBay links snapped. Dodgy. Thanks again.

I replaced mine 3 times already, last time with honda parts...I am still not sure if I did it properly as there is still some slight knocking present. Also bolts on each side are not of the same length, I took my chances and fitted it as I thought was correct. The hex socket inside that bolt is such a pain, I coudnt even tighten nuts properly , real pain.
Also when I replaced it for the first time it broke in such a way I had to drill my way out of it. Dan

Sounds as if it is not as straightforward as I first thought. Thanks for the tips and the warning folks. Great people on the Honda forum, as ever.

Cheers

T.

No I didnt replace the bushes (stabilizer ones, right?). They looked ok, but it might be a thing to do. My main concern was that I coudnt tighten nuts enough. Dan

Here is one of our own Howto's

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6926-anti-roll-bar-droplink-replacement/

...and an EricTheCarGuy vid for another Honda

No I didnt replace the bushes (stabilizer ones, right?). They looked ok, but it might be a thing to do. My main concern was that I coudnt tighten nuts enough. Dan
It may look ok from outside but anyway it's worth to replace them especially that it's only £6 each from honda dealer :D

Here is one of our own Howto's

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6926-anti-roll-bar-droplink-replacement/

...and an EricTheCarGuy vid for another Honda

Many thanks for the video Andy. That was enough to tell me I am not going to try this replacement myself. I have now had a quote from the Honda dealer. Drop link: £49:08. Supply and fit: £95:00. After watching the video, seems almost a bargain.

A thousand thanks to all for your ***istance.

Best wishes.

T.

Its not that difficult to do to be honest. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to use a junior hacksaw with a good quality new blade and cut them off. About 5 minutes to cut each bolt off job done.

Its not that difficult to do to be honest. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to use a junior hacksaw with a good quality new blade and cut them off. About 5 minutes to cut each bolt off job done.

Hmm, now that's a thought! At present I have wired the cup back to where it should be so the link still functions but that is only until it can be replaced with a new link.

Cheers to all once again.

T

These look different on tourers. What I feel is happening with mine is that there is to much play once you tighten it up.Anyways, if I get around I will take off the wheel and take some pics to describe what Im talking about. Dan