What's new

Accord Type R 7000 rpm Vibration

pacosnest

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type R
Hi
This is my second post as want my new car sorted.
Just bought an accord type R off my brother which he has owned from new.
Its mint condition and been very well looked after. A year ago he went on a long journey and didnt check the oil. 2 days later his bottom end went.
He had the bottom end rebuilt by a garage who seemed to know what they were doing.They also did the clutch at the same time. He did 600 careful miles at least before vtec'ing it etc.
It runs perfect and vtec cuts in perfect but when you hit 7000 rpm you get a massive vibration on the gear nob. VTEC cuts in at 5900 and goes through to 8000 but when you hit 7000 and above the vibration starts.I dont think its the engine as it runs perfect and sounds sweet as a nut.
Its like something is vibrating against the gearbox when you get to 7000 rpm or more.
My question is could they have put something on wrong or overlapped something when refitting the bottom end or gearbox. Could it be an exhaust heat deflector or some bracket - would that make the gear stick vibrate so intensly. The gearbox is sound like the engine, very smooth and has never fallen out of gear or anything. Nothing clunks or makes any noises. Full honda service history before the engine was done.
I read somewhere it may be an engine mounting or gearbox mounting, Does this sound like the lightly cause?
Any Help would be appreciated
thanks

I forgot to mention, my brother said it did this after he got it back but he never thought it was anything serious.
It didnt do it before the rebuild.
Do you think they have shaken the gearbx too much trying to split the casing or something which may have damaged the mounting or does this sound like nothing to do with engine mounts/gearbox mountings

VTEC Direct Bizarre its in winsford, I used to live in middlewich 5 miles from winsford, no use to me now! ha maybe i will ring them tomorrow and see if they have any ideas
thanks

If there is a vibration there is something out of balance.

At 7000rpm will be the revs will at a certain frequency that amplifies it.

There are so many variables if the engine has been apart, but putting that aside, has the clutch been put on right, has it been centered with a clutch alignment tool?

Sounds like the repair has not gone well at all. Could be a badly fitted clutch maybe or even a worn flywheel. Without an expert looking at it we won't know. Its very difficult to diagnoise something like this on the net.
Have you noticed any judder when setting off from stand still.

If there is a vibration there is something out of balance.

At 7000rpm will be the revs will at a certain frequency that amplifies it.

There are so many variables if the engine has been apart, but putting that aside, has the clutch been put on right, has it been centered with a clutch alignment tool?

Im not sure to be honest, its just weird. So are you saying the vibration is always there and at 7000 rpm it just gets amplified. If this was the case wouldnt it be more of a build up. It just seems fine at 6000 6700 6900 and then 7000 its hard to hold the gear stick really really vibrates.
Im not sure if the clutch was aligned. His friend had a garage who did the work and was supposed to be a really good mechanic thats all i can say. Do you think this is the problem then?

Sounds like the repair has not gone well at all. Could be a badly fitted clutch maybe or even a worn flywheel. Without an expert looking at it we won't know. Its very difficult to diagnoise something like this on the net.
Have you noticed any judder when setting off from stand still.

I picked it up from london last week and was stuck in london traffic for about an hour, i did start feeling a slight judder when pulling off but only very slight but it was definatley there although i havent felt it since but i havent been in bad traffic since with the engine gearbox getting hot.

I picked it up from london last week and was stuck in london traffic for about an hour, i did start feeling a slight judder when pulling off but only very slight but it was definatley there although i havent felt it since but i havent been in bad traffic since with the engine gearbox getting hot.

just to note, its only done 5000 miles since the rebuild as he didnt use it much in london

+1 on one of the balancer shafts being out of allignment.
Wes, if you fancy a trip to Saltash sometime I would be happy to have a quick look to try and diagnose the issue.

Tony

Sounds to me like a gearbox/clutch issue. Without removing the gearbox its difficult to give an accurate diagnosis. My first port of call would be to remove the gearbox and inspect the clutch though.

Does it do it in every gear, is it worse in higher gears ? If i's worse in higher gears, suggests grearbox to me.

Hey i have this exact issue , did u end up fixing it , i have been trying to find out what it is with no luck.