What's new

Adding POI to satnav system

Julianp

Members
Reaction score
Car
2012 Type-S i-DTEC
Hi everyone,
Just starting to find my way around my brand-new Accord and have my first couple of questions :unsure: . Does anyone have any experience of the satnav system and know whether it is possible to edit the map disc content and add your own Points of Interest (POIs) to it? My previous car had a BMW-based satnav system and you could use some proprietary software wondrously called Pimp-My-Nav which provided a graphical user interface (GUI) to add your own POI. This had no limitation on the number of places to add, unlike the Favourite locations feature (which is limited to 200 IIRC). I used it to add speed camera locations and the database of XPart dealers in Europe (a project I did with the MG Owners' Club). Pimp-My-Nav works with BMW and VW/Audi group systems. Is there anything similar for Honda? Or does anyone have experiences to share? I'm a recent joiner here but I know most car forums usually have a satnav and ICE guru hiding in them!
Thanks,
Julian.

Bon Jour Julian,

Bienvenu a Tupe Accord

I'm not a satnav guru (and that's all my French too!) but I've wondered the same thing about my Accord's satnav. I've asked about a bit and seen something like your 'pimp-nav' software in Thailand and South Africa (but not recently).

As far as I can see there's nothing Honda-san can offer to allow user POIs and I've not seen anything 3rd-party that can get in either.

I think the satnav hardware is from Alpine and runs software from NavTeq. I read somewhere - but haven't confirmed, the DVDs used for the sat nav also carry some parts of the other voice command systems - so maybe the satnav software is a bit bespoke and 3rd party software can't get to it ...

But - if you find a way - then please let us all know how ... I used a Garmin in my old Passat and the speed camera warning was very useful too.

Hope you enjoy the chat in here - I've found there are some very friendly experts in here - and they are all eager the help ... it's a nice place to chat about Accords ...

salute!

Graham

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your friendly message. I tried getting Pimp-My-Nav to read the Honda DVD, but it wouldn't have it. Although the underlying map data is the same the way it is encoded varies by car manufacturer, as does the graphical interface on top of it, so I'm not surprised. Finding another way in will take more time, I'll try and have a go if I get some free time later in the summer.
Cheers,
Julian.

Bon Jour Julian,

Bienvenu a Tupe Accord

I'm not a satnav guru (and that's all my French too!) but I've wondered the same thing about my Accord's satnav. I've asked about a bit and seen something like your 'pimp-nav' software in Thailand and South Africa (but not recently).

As far as I can see there's nothing Honda-san can offer to allow user POIs and I've not seen anything 3rd-party that can get in either.

I think the satnav hardware is from Alpine and runs software from NavTeq. I read somewhere - but haven't confirmed, the DVDs used for the sat nav also carry some parts of the other voice command systems - so maybe the satnav software is a bit bespoke and 3rd party software can't get to it ...

But - if you find a way - then please let us all know how ... I used a Garmin in my old Passat and the speed camera warning was very useful too.

Hope you enjoy the chat in here - I've found there are some very friendly experts in here - and they are all eager the help ... it's a nice place to chat about Accords ...

salute!

Graham