What's new

additional battery on honda acourd tourer 56 plate 2ltr

Mervyn4u2

Reaction score
Car
accord tourer 2006
Hi Guys
Has anyone attempted adding an additional battery on the above car . was going to put 2nd battery in the spare wheel well and run cable along the internal sill..
was going to use a voltage sensitive relay but am wondering wheter it will work because
1) alternator always seems to be pumping out 14v+ at the lighter socket
2) worried about additional load on alternator

reason for thinking about doing this :- will be putting amateur radio gear in car and battery will not last past 3days before draining,,,, whty oh why do honda put such a piddly battery in the accord considering the gear on it :(

Any help on this subject gratefully received
Merv
:(

I would also be interested in such an approach. The battery is precisely measured to be enough for this car, except when you add something as an additional element that consumes additional electricity, this battery is far from enough. I have DRL, an MP3 with BT and sometimes during a trip audio stops for about 5 seconds and then continues to play, which is a sign of lack of battery power. Usually this happens when in traffic, or if I flat the accelerator to make an overtake. I think That it will be good if we can get a separate battery for Audio units.

A friend I work with has got such a system on his Mitsubishi L200. He's got this box on the dashboard which shows which battery the car is charging and also if the main battery goes flat it will switch to the other battery automatically to start the car. Think that's how it works anyway, tbh half the time I don't really listen to him ha ha. Anyway he's really into all that stuff so I'm sure the system he uses must be a good one. I can ask him what he uses if you like?

Mervyn4u2 said:
Hi Guys
Has anyone attempted adding an additional battery on the above car . was going to put 2nd battery in the spare wheel well and run cable along the internal sill..
was going to use a voltage sensitive relay but am wondering wheter it will work because
1) alternator always seems to be pumping out 14v+ at the lighter socket
2) worried about additional load on alternator

reason for thinking about doing this :- will be putting amateur radio gear in car and battery will not last past 3days before draining,,,, whty oh why do honda put such a piddly battery in the accord considering the gear on it :(

Any help on this subject gratefully received
Merv
:(
Voltage Sensitive Relay is definitely the way to go. It doesn't matter that the alternator is always putting out 14 volts (in actual fact it doesn't always, but blink and you'll miss it..), as if the engine is running, you want both batteries to be charging.

With the engine off, you want your radio gear to only use the secondary battery, so you can drive home afterwards. :)

I didn't ever get as far as fitting a secondary battery in the boot, but I did run heavy duty positive and negative fused feeds there for my radio. Works fine for the small amount I use it, and minimises voltage drop.

A Split charge relay is what you want, common for 4wd vehicles that may have winches and other heavy consumers of power.

thats good stuff
have a wood auto voltage sensitive relay here so can use that
will 16mm2 be on to connect to back of tourer ??

again many thanks
Merv