What's new

Advice on buying 8th Gen Accord

serumaphex

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type-S
Hi Guys,

first of all its been a looooong time since ive been on here as i said farewell to you all after selling my beloved 7th Gen 2.4 type S to get a fiesta diesel! God what a shock to the system that was! but needs must at the time. Well i p/x in that darn fiesta about 5 weeks ago for an Alfa 159 - a total heart rules head move - and of which ive had lots of trouble with (no surprises) so ive handed back this weekend. So, i need to get something else. Truth be told i miss my accord like hell, and have coveted the 8th Gen for a while but my budget just couldnt stretch that far. Well ive seen one i like and drove it yesterday, its a little more than i wanted to pay but i do like it and if its worth it il pay it. Im just cant decide whether its worth the asking price or not, so id appreciate some of your guys opinions/advice etc. Link Below

My link

The bodywork is immaculate for the miles and it has a comprehensive service history. The DPF was replaced in October last year, but i dont think that should worry me, probably good news if anything and the transmission fluid changed randomly (not at a service interval). Had a good look round the car and cant spot anything out of the ordinary. The only thing that stood out on the test drive is the clutch pedal feels shaky, probably clutch will need replacing shortly. And also one of the drivebelts on the side of the engine thats visible, looks a bit old, but pretty sure thats not the cambelt as i thought it was a chain on the 2.2 i-Dtec? Other than it looks and drives beautifully!

What do you reckon? Worth the price? Anything i should be aware of on this model?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Hi and welcome Mike,

Check out this higher spec EX model with leather and sat nav.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305276974242/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/9000/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/60/postcode/la11ja/page/1?logcode=p

Also I've heard bad things about A Clark, might be wrong. Cars from Scotland also, check it for chassis rust, lots of salt used up there. Front subframes get well rusty.

iDtec is cam chain, the belt you can see is the aux belt, about £40 plus fitting.

Do you do the long journeys to keep the DPF working, if not 2.0 petrol might be better. Look at this 7th gen babe:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304266470809/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/9000/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/la11ja/page/1/radius/60?logcode=p

Thanks for that. That ex models a bit too much brass for me, i think i prefer the GT spec though. I cant have a 2.4 petrolagain, cant afford the fuel bills!

The car although scottish plate, is actually been serviced down in gloucester mostly so ***ume its kept down there. A Clark arent the best your very right, but unfortunatley as part of the handback deal with my Alfa, i dont have a choice but to use them. Il be sure to check for rust thankyou for letting me know.

I am in limbo tho as to whether to get a diesel or a petrol. I do about 12-13k a year, and in that theres a 13 mile pure motorway commute during the week. Would that be sufficient to keep the DPF happy?

Mike

I'd say you'd be better off with a 2.0 petrol. DPF is expensive if it does go wrong, your journeys may not keep it happy. I might be wrong. Break even point for a diesel is getting on for 20k miles a year, especially as the fuel and cars cost more.

I've heard if the regen cycles dont happen automatically on the DPF, you have to visit a Honda dealer for a forced regen, they charge at least an hours labour. Also essential to use Honda DPF compliant engine oil, and good quality diesel, BP Ultimate, Shell V power etc.

Check the tyres also, the 17" ones are £120 each for a decent brand. You can get chinese/indonesian brands from £60 though each.

Hi Jace,

Good to see you over here!

Rich

My link

Mike,

See this petrol beauty they have at another branch, get them to bring it down for you...

that 2.0l looks smashing! its £1500 more than what i have to spend tho! You may be right with the petrol vs diesel argument. I reckon if i went for the civic 1.8 - id see around 35 mpg average. Im guessing the accord 2.2 dtec a touch over 40mpg average??? does that sound right to any diesel owners? theres probably a thread on here somewhere for peeps to post their own figures?

mike

Diesel MPG vary drastically depending on how its used. Whats you daily drive like?

I managed 56mpg from my house to Manchester airport over 76 miles. 68-80 mph.

Last week I managed 51mpg over 5 days/ 200 miles going to work through B roads @ 50-60mph

On average you should get between 46-49mpg with the Dtec.

Regular short journeys aren't recommended but I may do a couple over the week end which sees my mpg then drop from 50mpg to 46mpg.

Regular short journys will apparently drop mpg to about 38mpg ish and throw up a DPF light according to other members. Such short journys would be better off spent in a petrol. Probably in a Jazz that would do 50 mpg :rolleyes:

haha! im not getting a jazz!

my weekdays basically entail 6.5 miles of m'way in both directions to work plus about 2.5 miles of B road either way. Then some town driving later at night. MPG's not as bad as i thought for the dtec - but it looks like im probably best off with petrol - which means it gonna be the 1.8 civic. Considering my limited option of where i can buy my car, i think the 2.0 litre 8th gen accord is just not affordable at the minute...*sigh*. One day soon il be back in an Accord!

Thanks for the advice guys, just what i was after :)

hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but im about to put down a deposit on a 2009 8th gen accord 2.2 diesel. EX spec with only 35 thousand miles on it. Any thoughts on what i should be looking for? Is there much a difference in fuel consumption between the 8th gen and the facelift that was release in 2011? i drove the car at the weekend and its in mint condition, solid as a rock and pretty silent. Interior is spotless and she has new tyres on the front and 75% thread on the back. 6 month warranty and being put through the irish nct test so she will be good to go for 2 years. Just serviced with genuine honda break parts fitted. I was hoping to go for a 210 but the EX spec really won me over! im trading a 1.4 2005 5 door civic so its quite a jump up!

Cheers,
Mick

Hi and welcome,

Check with a Honda dealer that it has had all the recalls done, especially the one controlling the DPF regenerations, to stop too much diesel getting in the oil.
Always use low SAPS 0w/30 honda approved oil, or you could get DPF blocking problems.