What's new

Advice on buying a petrol Accord?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey all, sadly lost touch with the site since I sold the Accord back in November. Since then I've had a '06 Golf GTi and currently driving a '04 A4 TDi but I'm hoping to sell it pretty soon and move back to the Honda family again :lol: I've been looking around at a few cars and I've decided that I want to come back in on the petrol side of things but I'm in a bit of a dilemma...

Do I go for the 2.0 Euro R model and get the performance benefits over the standard 2.0EX we'll say? Or should I try to find a '08 2.4?

I'm already hearing shouts for 2.4, but bear in mind it will have to be a '08 for me to get a reasonable tax rate over here in Ireland! A pre '08 will cost me €1080 per year to tax :unsure:

Anyone have any experience with a Euro R compared to a standard 2.0? Do they differ much in terms of MPG, driving comfort or spec?

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of the '08 2.4's are automatic, which to me is no fun! Surely there are manual 2.4's to be had in the 7th gen body shape?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help or advice ye can offer! :)

Glad your back on-board, well almost ;) The 2.4's are plenty of bang for your buck, the Euro-R is a good option but if your not driving it hard I wouldn't see any gains or losses over the 2.4's :huh: So personally I would hold out for the elusive 2.4 8th Gen Manual, unless a 7th Gen Type-S fits at the time?

Glad your back on-board, well almost ;) The 2.4's are plenty of bang for your buck, the Euro-R is a good option but if your not driving it hard I wouldn't see any gains or losses over the 2.4's :huh: So personally I would hold out for the elusive 2.4 8th Gen Manual, unless a 7th Gen Type-S fits at the time?
Isn't the type s just a 2litre with a few sporty extras inside? Or what are the differences in a type s?

Have to agree if you can find 8th gen 2.4 it will be worth the wait.
I waited 6 months for my car to show up.

Sorry if I've confused anyone but I'm actually looking for the 7th gen body shape with a 08 reg. :) there seems to be a few with the older body on 08 plates, there's something about the new model that's just not as pleasant to look at IMO, of course.

I'm just looking for a 08 plate car because our tax system changed to an emissions based one in 2008, giving us all cheaper tax if we upgrade a bit.

Also because everyone is buying diesel cars the petrol models are going very cheap! :D

7th Gen Euro R, doubt you'll find an 8th gen 2.4 in Ireland, especially if they're hens teeth in UK. Most people say they get over 500km to a tank with the euro r, 6 speed box helps, whereas the basic 2.0l is 5 speed.

7th gen 2.4 would be nice if you can justify the tax... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.4-I-37/201316214497261/advert?channel=CARS

What about the 2.2 180 brake 8th gen??

7th gen 2.4 would be nice if you can justify the tax... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.4-I-37/201316214497261/advert?channel=CARS

Something like this is what I mean > http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306147278586/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/m111bb/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

A 2008 7th gen 2.4, more or less like hens teeth too, but I'll keep searching :)

Something like this is what I mean > http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306147278586/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/m111bb/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

A 2008 7th gen 2.4, more or less like hens teeth too, but I'll keep searching :)

Not sure, but doesn't the 2.4 7 gen manual about 206 g/km of CO2? That would put in in the Irish annual tax rate of €1,200 per annum. This is compared to the current rate of €1,080. Buy an 07 and save yourself €120 per annum!

Re the Euro R, ***uming it's an pre-08 it'll be €730 per annum to tax.

TBH while car tax here is a a killer (you lucky residents in the UK), wouldn't you be better getting a older petrol for peanuts (there's a manual 2.4 executive for sale for €2K at the momnet) and putting the rest into tax.

Really? :eek: I checked the current engine size based bands and beside that it showed the new rate of about 300 if I remember correctly! Never crossed my mind that it might be more?

Really? :eek: I checked the current engine size based bands and beside that it showed the new rate of about 300 if I remember correctly! Never crossed my mind that it might be more?

Well then I've bad news for you! If you get an 08 reg from the UK, you'll have CO2 based VRT and depending on reg date (before or after June) you'll have either €1,200 or €1,080 per annum tax.

Christ on a bike! So much for my plan.... to be honest I wouldn't mind paying the 700 or so for a nice type s, but 1080 is out of my reach!

Christ on a bike! So much for my plan.... to be honest I wouldn't mind paying the 700 or so for a nice type s, but 1080 is out of my reach!

That's why I've an 04 2.4. Bought for peanuts and and although an extra €350 per annum, what I saved in purchase costs, I've added to cost of ownership.

Purchase 2.4 2004 for €2K
Tax difference - €350 / annum

5 years cost (***ume car worth zero in 5 years) - €3.7K cost

Purchase 2.0 2007 for circa €6K
Tax diifference - €0

5 years cost (***ume car worth zero in 5 year) - €6K cost

Hmmm good point! What are realistic figures for a 2.4 and 2.0 type s? I was talking to a local Honda dealer and he said that one of his customers reported 450 miles to the tank in a '07 2 litre... Is that possible or just dealer talk? :)

Hmmm good point! What are realistic figures for a 2.4 and 2.0 type s? I was talking to a local Honda dealer and he said that one of his customers reported 450 miles to the tank in a '07 2 litre... Is that possible or just dealer talk? :)

Well I've a 2.4 tourer and I get 30-32mpg on a long run. The other half can get 37mpg (keeps it around 60mph).

The 2.4 saloon is better and will give 33-35mpg if driven carefully.

450 miles / tank is possible, but it has a 65 litre tank! :)

Now the 2.0 litre engine is pretty economical, you can push 40mpg with moderate driving.

you wont get any 2.4 Accords in Ireland, if you can they are prob going to be over priced and wont have sat nav.

so get one in the uk, i am in the same boat as you and feel that an auto box on an accord is a joke, on a honda legend yes please but on the accord you need to feel the gears and hit that vtec note with a manual box.

auto boxes are suitable for large luxobarges imo.

dont think you will have any joy getting an 8th gen 2.4 manual so get a fecelift 2.4 7th gen

and enjoy the ride..!

economy for me.

on a long run, sticking within legal limits, 450+ miles range is entirely possible, and yes that 65 litre tank is a ***** to fill up...$$$$$ !

on city driving its a different ball game, expect about 250-300 miles on a tank.

but for me i dont care too much about economy and just enjoy the drive, if everyone was fretting about petrol the world would be a very boring place.

So 65 litres x 1.55 a litre is €100. Averaging 450 miles a tank that's 22cent a mile. Not bad going for a 2litre... Considering the joys of driving a car like that :) funnily enough I've already got plans in mind for it! Damn this site :D

the 2.4 accord is a fine car indeed and they prices they are going for now makes them very tempting

So 65 litres x 1.55 a litre is €100. Averaging 450 miles a tank that's 22cent a mile. Not bad going for a 2litre... Considering the joys of driving a car like that :) funnily enough I've already got plans in mind for it! Damn this site :D

450 miles can be done easily, on my last tank I done 679km's but that wasn't all motorway, but if you want power, get the 2.4 or euro r.

If you want power I would look away from an Accord my 2.4 was a nice car my only problem was they are just totally gutless and too thirsty when traded off with the lack of power.

Great car in every other respect that's why I kept it for the OH for 7 years.

Hey all, sadly lost touch with the site since I sold the Accord back in November. Since then I've had a '06 Golf GTi and currently driving a '04 A4 TDi but I'm hoping to sell it pretty soon and move back to the Honda family again :lol: I've been looking around at a few cars and I've decided that I want to come back in on the petrol side of things but I'm in a bit of a dilemma...

Do I go for the 2.0 Euro R model and get the performance benefits over the standard 2.0EX we'll say? Or should I try to find a '08 2.4?

I'm already hearing shouts for 2.4, but bear in mind it will have to be a '08 for me to get a reasonable tax rate over here in Ireland! A pre '08 will cost me €1080 per year to tax :unsure:

Anyone have any experience with a Euro R compared to a standard 2.0? Do they differ much in terms of MPG, driving comfort or spec?

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of the '08 2.4's are automatic, which to me is no fun! Surely there are manual 2.4's to be had in the 7th gen body shape?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help or advice ye can offer! :)

Hi there, just a bit of experience from myself ,I currently own an 05 2.4 exec manual but have also owned an 03 2.4 exec,both cars brilliant,the auto had less miles on it (53000) but was brilliant to drive, the performance was good and was a pleasure to drive but I have got to say the manual I now have is a bit quicker and fuel consumption is quite a bit better.Advice while looking for an accord would be definitely test drive it and if a manual box stick it in top gear at about 35 mph and put your foot to the floor,if the engine revs up quite quickly but you don't accelerate at the same sort of rate then you probably need a new clutch (£500 upwards fitted).also check every electrical device on the thing windows,satnav,stereo,wipers,heated seats,cruise control, just everything,if you don't it can be costly to fix and will annoy you all the time you own it.good luck!

Seems hard to find a genuine euro r, a lot of them have been tarted up with lips, kits and cut springs probably :) Are there any mods for the 2litre engine to bring up the figures of the standard EX or type s?

For the price of modding a basic 2.0, just buy a euro r and put your stamp on it... Whatever's done can be undone ;)
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/Euro-R/201325215498631/advert?channel=CARS

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-euro-r-cl7/5180765

Fairly expensive for a 02 car, I know it has the extra power and all but it's cut back in other ways. The EX has a much better spec and can be had for a lot less, at the expense of BHP of course.

Without a doubt, but performances costs, whatever way you look at it ;)

Without a doubt, but performances costs, whatever way you look at it ;)
220 bhp from a CL7 is very impressive.
I wander if there is a CL9 out there