What's new

Advice on oil pressure wanted

philjory

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
While i was driving my 2004 ictdi today the tone of the engine changed and i noticed the oil light was on I stopped the car immediately, checked the oil which was fine and then called out the rac.
The mechanic said that it could be serious and so would not attempt to start the car and so towed it back to my home he also said that it could be an expensive repair.
Could any of the forum members give me any advice as to what the cause could be,what the cost of the parts may be and is it likley to be a job that a good diy mechanic could do at home.
Additional information the car has done 117000 miles and about 6000 miles ago the turbo packed up and was removed,reconditioned and replaced.

You did the correct thing Phil by turning the car off.My best advice is get your car to a Honda dealers to get it checked out.
This might be a simple thing like a blocked oil filter or more serious an oil pump or chain problem.If you can get any fault codes read if any this will help to solve the problem.

Hi Phil

Don't know if this will be of any help, but my uncle's turbo on his BMW 3 series went 12 months ago, he had his replaced with a reconditioned turbo, but was told to have his oil changed again within 6000 miles or 3 months by the mechanic who did the replacement. It could be as simple as an oil change that could solve the problem.

Other question is what grade of oil do you use?
sad.gif

Phil just been doing some digging and this might be a simple case of a faulty oil pressure switch.As i said a Honda dealers can check the switch and oil pressure to determine the fault.

I'm afraid that if "the tone of the engine changed", then that does suggest loss of oil pressure... I can't think of a simple fault that might cause this, but at least you stopped immediately and hopefully 'saved' the engine from further harm. It is likely that either the oil pump drive has sheared, or the oil pump drive chain has broken. This will be a tough DIY or an expensive garage job. Sorry!

I'm afraid that if "the tone of the engine changed", then that does suggest loss of oil pressure... I can't think of a simple fault that might cause this, but at least you stopped immediately and hopefully 'saved' the engine from further harm. It is likely that either the oil pump drive has sheared, or the oil pump drive chain has broken. This will be a tough DIY or an expensive garage job. Sorry!
is it possable to remove the sump cover without having to take out the engine

Phil,

This sounds to me like a failed oil pump chain. If it ran for long enough without oil pressure for you to notice a change in engine tone, indicating the engine is tightening up, it's probably too late.
As an indicator, my chain snapped when I was driving through town early in the morning, so I keyed off immediately and pulled over. Sent the car off to have the timing and oil pump chains changed at a cost of £1200, as I was confident I'd caught it in time. Car didn't run for very long after before throwing a big end bearing on the motorway, so big mess.

I would say that if you're contemplating having it repaired, have the big end journals and crank checked BEFORE authorising work to replace the chains. I'd hate for someone else to waste £1200

Cheers

Robin

Good advice Robin I just hate all these problems with our cars.
But tbo its probably down to bad maintenance of a previous owners so in affect people are buying there problems.

I agree Brett,

But lets face it, if we weren't messing around with cars, we'd only be indoors annoying the wife :) Although I have to say, scrabbling around under cars on a cold drive for hours has a somewhat different effect on my body than I remember it having when I was 20 :D

Robin