What's new

Advice please on purchasing a 2011 Type S

spannerman

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord type s tourer
Hello all

I have been away from Hondas for a few years now. I used to have petrol Accords in the past including the 2.0 and 2.4 Type S which I loved.

I am looking at going back to Hondas and thinking of purchasing a 2011 Accord Type S 2.2 dtec. This car has 40,000 miles on clock and looks fine. I have the following questions

1...DMF set up in the 180hp Type S. Is it still as problematic as the 148hp Accord. And should i really let it put me off buying?

2...DPF getting blocked. I do quite a bit of commuting in heavy traffic in the week days but can still give the car a good 40 mile run down the motorway once a week and I would also be using Shell V power diesel not the cheaper fuel. Am I likely to get problems at 40,000 mile mark?

Cheers

Keith

DMF and clutch don't suffer with the same issue but it is a clutch afterall so no guarantees.

And the DPF is a big possibility but there is a permanent solution we offer for these so don't let it put you off.

Hi Keith and welcome,

Depends on your annual mileage if diesel makes more sense. Also the petrol models are more reliable. The 2.0 is a good compromise, fairly quick at 156ps, economy can be upto 45mpg on the motorway, and no dpf to worry about.

If you do a lot of heavy traffic, might be worth looking at a hybrid, like a Auris or Prius. Use no fuel running in electric mode in those jams!

Actually the 180 diesel Type S is a very different beast to the petrol 2.0

It can hit a good 230bhp+ and is a bit of a bruiser when tuned. I would agree with the question of annual mileage though, if it's less than 12k, have a good think about whether a petrol makes more sense, although I would go for a K24.

Buy one you will not be disappointed , totally underrated car , more toys than you'll ever probably need , lovely gearbox , I've recently test driven 6 bmw 320d's and was horrified at how bad they feel ? Theres a lot of anti diesel folk about on here mainly due to a lack of understanding of how a dpf system manages itself , if it does get blocked up to the point of no return then as FAHAD says its not the end of the world , sat nav is a a bit outdated now but does the job , fake wood trim scratches very easily and the front suspension is very sensitive to the slightest bit of misalignment , at 40k it should feel brand new