What's new

Advice please

Greeny

Members
Reaction score
Car
350z
Hello everybody.
Basically my dad has a 56 plate accord tourer cdti. He has had some noise from the alternator side for a few weeks. This finally resulted in the car breaking down the other night. His recovery company came and jumped him as the battery was dead due to not being charged. They told him the bearings in the alternator were shot and he required a new one.

So today it's been at the garage for 2 days now. They have fitted the new alternator but are saying it's still not fixed. My old man said he thought they said it's a problem with the "icu smart charger" or Eco charger. Lol I've never heard of either lol.
The garage told him they are out thier depth with, so an auto spark has been called.

Any one have any ideas??
What is this smart charging?
Cheers

If it is just a case of the battery draining then I would check the HFT as this was the problem with mine, as it was not turning off and draining the battery overnight. Just pull the fuse and then see if the problem persists, at least it will be one think to discount...as I think a few have this problem on the facelift model.

There's no "smart charger" on the 7th gen Accord. There's a regulator built into the alternator, but if they've replaced the alternator, they will have replaced this. So no sure what the issue is, the alternator is either putting out charge or it isn't.

It is possible that there's a short/drain (like the HFT above) somewhere in the car, causing a ground fault, but I'm not sure how that would be related to the alternator bearings.

Oh and for those interested this "smart charger" thingy, is something you seen on newer BMWs (from about 05 onwards). When you replace the battery in the car you have to "register" it with the charging system. In BMW lingo it's the IBS sensor. Why the need to complicate a system used successful for the last 100 years is beyond me.

http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=164

Hey cheers for the replys guys. Apparently it's still in the garage, being bank holiday and all. No real news on what's going on yet.