What's new

Aftermarket Head Unit and Premium sound with OEM sub woofer

FunkMasterJay

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 Accord Tourer
Hey all. So I ordered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250908606333?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Single DIN facia for the bottom compartment on the dash.

Question I have is :

1. Does anyone have the Pin Out for the Premium Sound Amp? Is it a balanced input or can RCAs just be stripped and soldered to the input harness?

2. Does anyone have the specs of the OEM speakers ie impedance etc,

I'd like feedback and examples of how people have set their systems up. Just to clarify, this is not a show car for noise. This is my work horse that I plan to keep for a good while.

Cheers,
J

OK, so after getting no answers and trawling the friendly web for info, I will just give it a crack. My domestic situation means that I very rarely have free time to faff with my cars, so I no longer have time to carry out reconnaissance missions before carrying out work. Anyway to cut a long story short, here is my prep work for the stereo.

I soldered the new harness from the eBay fitting kit to a spare ISO harness I have. They have been shrink wrapped and tidied up.

2. Close up of the harness.

3. I have an old steering control module with Pioneer plug. I just have to figure out how to wire it to my Honda.

4. Microphone for Hands Free function.

5. Micro USB cable for Pioneer App function. I will not rely on this for charging. I have a proper 12v-5v 2A hard wire system for that.

6. So this is a custom harness I created ages ago for my old SAAB which had a built in Amp that I retained. For it to work, I had to feed the amp a balanced signal. What I have done here is solder the RCA cables to ISO plugs so that the car's amp gets a low level signal, instead of high from the speaker output. This is why I have tried desperately to find out if the Premium Sound requires a balanced low level input but no one says anything.

7. ISO patch harness that allows me to bypass speaker output but retail power etc.

8. 2 USB cables - These plug in to the back of the unit. I prefer rear entry (oo er!) USB sockets to those at the front. One is for my iPod and the other is for any media source. I will use this to connect to my android phone for the Pioneer App.

9. Piggy Back fuse for DAB antenna.

10. Back of my head unit. 2 x USB, main harness, 2 x aerial input, hard wired remote socket and mic socket. SD card reader in the front.

11. Fully ***embled facia adaptor. Front view. Gosh modern head units are no where as se><y as they used to be in the 90s and 00s.

I will see how it goes. My understanding is that the OEM amp will split the signals to all speakers and sub. Fingers crossed, all this works swimmingly

I will post pics of the actual installation when I get it done tomorrow.

I have question: I have orginal stereo unit(with one cd only , i upgraded it so now i can listen thru USB) does the premium stereo unit sounds better,louder? thanks

Will be upgrading all speakers so instresting meybe upgrade stereo unit as well if premium sounds better.

Hi ya. I have changed my set up since the last one. Yes, it sounds better. I have not changed the speakers yet, but I am happy with what I have.