What's new

Air Box?

rupertbear

Reaction score
Car
2001 2.0i VTEC
I managed to pull the offside of the front bumper off my 2001 2.0 SE. Got that back on OK, but there's a complex air box just behind the bumper which now has its mountings broken.

What does it do? Is it just a silencer? Something more important? Running without it at the moment, do I need to go scrapyard mining?

Thanks

Its the resonator chamber, am sure i have a few lying about, not really necessary, car will run fine without it. Most ATR owners take it off anyway.

It is the resonator chamber buddy. I took mine off to improve airflow with my K&N panel filter. It will not harm your car to remove it but you will probably get a bit more induction roar when vtec kicks in.

Probably a good idea to reset the ECU if you do remove it though as it will be drawing in more cold air and may affect fuel ecconomy if you dont reset!

The one that sits in here?....take it all off if you dont mind a bit of extra noise and throttle response :D

2011-04-15135344.jpg

Not to mention the weight saving hahahah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn, wish I'd known it was a redundant part, it cost me a tenner to replace mine when I lost a fight with a lorry :(

I took mine off and its sounds ......

WOW! GRRRRR=

i spend alot of my time in vtec coz of it :D

but it does mean your air intake is much lower down so avoid those puddles!
:ph34r: because water dont work as well as air.

I fitted a induction kit and cut a metal plate to screw on and cover the hole to stop water and durt coming up.
thinking back tho i should of fitted a cold air feed through that plate :unsure: