What's new

Air Con Compressor just gone pop

Discodave

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Type S
My air con compressor has just gone bang, smoke out of the side of it and oil all over the floor. I am so ****ed at the moment, just googled it on the TSX/CRV and seems very common on the 2004 models, to damn common!!!!, lost of reports and well reported on the American forums

So any help at this point in time would be gratefully received, it looks like it might cost in the region of £1500+, if so I would rather trade it in and put the money towards another car!!!!

I am also considering looking for a accord breaking, if I can do this cheaply the Accord will stay, anyone know of a late model one?

Going to have a few beers !!!

aw man that sucks! I hate it when folk say its a common problem coz then i get worried about mine too! ;)

Best bet is to check ebay for breaking cars and phone about the scrappies to see if they have any. Would be a shame if you end up trading the car buddy, would be sad to lose a type s owner. Hope your search goes well buddy

Before you get all suicidal, have a quick search...
http://compressor-express.co.uk/index.php

First lot I looked at, recon units start at £215 though not necessarily your model... worth a punt though.

If youre handy with spanners, change it yourself and get Honda to re-gas it. Or ask them for a quote on fitment / re-gas only.

Have to say I keep putting off getting mine re-gassed though it still works fine, maybe get it done after christmas. One of the only things I dont have the ability to do at the workshop, though used to fit the kits on the dealership.

A few Cobra's later, here is the link to just frighten OZ....lol lol

Major AC Problems

One of many threads I afraid, Probably a different compressor from the UK Accord as I cannot find any reports.

Well at least I am going to be getting a few more BHP and MPG!!!

im sure you will be able to pick one up cheap from a breakers yard mate

I feel the reason it went bang was probably self inflicted. I have come to this conclusion after a several Cobra's and few hours on the net lol lol

If anyone finds a late Accord, please let me know.

CJ do you know if the same compressor was fitted to the late accords? I will do some digging.

Anyone got any ideas what else should be changed (receiver/drier, expansion valve, o-rings, condenser (replace due to age of car) , 4 hours+ flush to remove any contamination) or is this OT.

I just want my Accord healthy again :) :(

This happened after a full clean/wax/polish, car was looking great. Switch the engine on to move car back, switch on air con and 20 seconds later bang. Was not funny at the time, my face must have been a picture, but can see the funny side now (my glass is alway half full..lol lol)

Time to start saving the pennies, as my son would say!!

I now agree, its one of them things, I change the oil every 6k, gearbox oil every 1.5-2years and everything else routinely, but have paid no attention to the poor old air con!! I imagine most people are the same!!

Might try to see if I can make it, but it will not be until late this week before I a can confirm :lol:

Go arn. You know it makes sense!

If you have it removed I could take it up for you?

Looks like I will be attending, seems that the Accord wanted to go all along...lol lol

Dan might drive up with you.

Has anyone read up on black death in regards to modern air con!!

Would be more than welcome Dave, I am leaving at around 5:30 and heading up the A1... Maybe a little later :p. Have to be at HH for 8:00 sharp.

you are too kind CJ......its the time of year that frost is setting in and any moisture in an a/c system is a killer. most people only bother with an a/c service in the summer when they find its not working. idealy i would service the a/c every year but every 2 is quite resonable. compressor/clutch failure is not unheard of in hondas but uncommon. in civics and crv's there have been a few problems with the clutch relays sticking on, wost case being compressor failure. main point here is most people need to re-think there veiw of a/c as a serviceabe item and a part of there regular routine. its arround £50....spread over 2 years is nothing and not much more over 1 year.

Agreed with that Adam which is why I plan to have mine done on Saturday at the meet ;)

Leak test, gas refill, filter change etc and they'll check the clutch and compressor for any issues I'm sure.

Ok good news is that my compressor is not in bits. It seems that the system had been over gassed and the rather loud explosion and venting of gas/oil was the pressure relief valve opening :eek: :eek:

So a big thanks to HH/CJ for sorting and regas. I will be booking myself in this time next year :D

So back in love with my Accord again :wub: :wub: :wub: and treated her to a new set of mats :D

Google is sometimes like keeping a medical book in the house, to easy to jump to the wrong conclusion :ph34r: :ph34r:

Really pleased for you Dan, I could see the relief on your face on Saturday :ph34r:

the ammount daves a/c was over gassed even after it vented into the engine bay was quite large!.........equivelent of putting 50psi in your tyres when there supposed to be 30. just shows how important it is to do an a/c service propperly.

Jeez, I hope you didn't let the same guy do your engine oil too Dave :rolleyes:

Dave all that free a/c gas you lucky boy :rolleyes: