What's new

AIR CON HAS JUST STOPPED WORKING....

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
my aircon on my 2004 accord has just all of a sudden stopped working. i took it to Honda for a regas but it didnt cure the issue...... so it went back to Honda today to have an aircon check up and they found no faults with the condensor, motor etc etc and no leaks.

they have now told me that it needs further investigation and they will need my car for 2-3 days and take the dash apart as they suspect it could be an electrical fault with the climate control unit!

all the other heater controls work fine and everything else works fine on the car except the annoying sat nav but thats another issue.

so basically what happens is that i go to the heater/aircon control on the touch screen press ON and nothing happens. before you could hear the aircon start up and kick into life but now there is nothing at all.

has anyone experienced this before or knows what the issue is? i dont really want it to go into Honda as the charge to find the fault is almost £300 before anything is replaced.

Welcome to TA

Matt please introduce yourself in the newbies section before posting for help. Too many new members are joining for answers to questions and we never see them again.

Just switch the air con to auto and drive it for a week, it will cure the problem. I had the same issue and my mechanic suspected the high pressure switch being stuck up from the lack of gas in the system, the new gas has lubricating action but it needs some time to loosen the sensor.

Just switch the air con to auto and drive it for a week, it will cure the problem. I had the same issue and my mechanic suspected the high pressure switch being stuck up from the lack of gas in the system, the new gas has lubricating action but it needs some time to loosen the sensor.
thanks for the tip mate, it has to be worth a go.

just to clarify do i need to have the air con switched on using the touch button screen? then press the auto button below the screen.... sorry for sounding a bit daft but i dont want to try it and do it wrong!!!!

ive actually never used the auto control as all it seems to do is blast air very fast into the car.

ill give it a go.

thanks for the tip mate, it has to be worth a go.

just to clarify do i need to have the air con switched on using the touch button screen? then press the auto button below the screen.... sorry for sounding a bit daft but i dont want to try it and do it wrong!!!!

ive actually never used the auto control as all it seems to do is blast air very fast into the car.

ill give it a go.

Using the Auto function turns the A/c on and off to keep the temp at the desired setting.

One of the reasons that it may blow air very fast into the car is probably due to it initially starting off on recirculate (if temperature is quite high), which helps to bring the temperature down quicker. After a few minutes once the pre-set temperature is reached, the fan will slow down.

ive just done a few miles with the auto on and it seems to slow down as you turn up the heat and blow faster the cooler you set it. i kept it on low/minimum setting and the blowers didnt change the speed in about 30 minutes driving.

ill keep it on auto and fingers crossed it will sort the issue.

ive just done a few miles with the auto on and it seems to slow down as you turn up the heat and blow faster the cooler you set it. i kept it on low/minimum setting and the blowers didnt change the speed in about 30 minutes driving.

ill keep it on auto and fingers crossed it will sort the issue.

The auto setting will adjust the fan speed and A/C on/off according to the temperature in the car, but if you set it to Lo, it will continuously keep the A/C on and the fan to max speed. Better put it to 18 - 20 degrees so it will try to switch on/off the A/C and unstuck the hi-pressure switch.

The auto setting will adjust the fan speed and A/C on/off according to the temperature in the car, but if you set it to Lo, it will continuously keep the A/C on and the fan to max speed. Better put it to 18 - 20 degrees so it will try to switch on/off the A/C and unstuck the hi-pressure switch.
ok thanks for the tip

I might be wrong, but if the HP switch is stuck, won't it hold the system off as part of its safety function?

ive kept my heating on auto since the advice given and its made no difference at all......

could it not be something simple like a relay maybe? or am i just trying to convince myself its a cheap job to sort!

how would Honda have tested the components to be sure they werent at fault? (bits like the motor, compressor etc etc.)

if they have been tested as working fine it must be a power supply fault surely.......... this is why im hoping its a fuse or relay. am i barking up the wrong tree?

I know it's een a while since the last post on this thread but the aircon in my 2004 Diesel Accord doesn't work either. The blower seems to respond to the Auto setting by increasing and decreasing fan speed but there is no cold air when the aircon is set to on and temp to LO. Looking for a cheap solution I bought the refill kit in Halfrauds that comes with the gauge used on the low pressure side. When connected the gauge went straight in to the red zone which according to the kit meant a different issue.

Has the issue been sorted for the thread starter? If so can you let us know what the cause was in your scenario?

Ta.

Solved my issue for now anyway. I released the pressure from the system on the L pressure side and then refilled with the DIY can and he presto, 2 minutes later artic air coming from the vents!! All I need to find out now is what caused the issue but for now it's working!!

So you dumped your refrigerant to the atmosphere?

I can see Dan with his Grand High Plumber (GHP) hat on, saying tut tut....:D

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and get it done professionally, i.e. with proper equipment. There's a whole lot of things to take into consideration when doing A/C.....
cira £50 or less

Hi all, SPUTNIK has had a perpetual aircon issue which I bottomed out myself. Even if this doesn't prove to be the problem....its worth a try to see what happens.

Essentially in the engine bay there is a box which contains some relays. There is a map of symbols inside the lid to represent what each one is for. There are two related to the a/c, one to trip the cooling fan and one to engage the electromagnetic clutch that kicks in the compressor. Both relays are the same rating.....so basically track them down and swap them over.

Worked for me anyway....a/c works everytime now. :)

My plumbing status has naff all to do with it Gav; you reallly REALLY shouldn't be releasing that stuff into the environment. DIY kits should be banned if only because of people doing this kind of thing.

Sorry, just my opinion. There are only a few that tick me off quite like this.

^Yeah, I know, thought you'd have something to say about this tho...;)