What's new

Air con is this normal?

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
Mine is the 2.2 i-dtec and I've noticed when air con is switched on i can hear compressor kick in but then clicks back of after around 5-8 seconds then after around 10 seconds it will kick back in for 5-8 seconds and this will keep repeating itself. It does this whether it is hot or cold outside.
Also noticed when the hot gas ***ist heater is on on the cold mornings it does the same switching on and off but the timings are totally random, it can be on for 2 or 5 or even over 10 seconds and same in the off state. Which is a shame as this feature is meant to help heat me up quicker but looks like it's spending alot of the time being off.

So just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and is it normal, to me it doesn't sound normal for the compressor to be switching as often as this is surely going to wear something out.

Also noticed when it's switching on and off the fans at the radiator in engine bay also switch on and off.

Less than a year ago at honda. They recommended it during a multi point check as i had bought it used and put it in for piece of mind

Hi.

Mine seems to exhibit the same or similar but not really payed any attention to it. It was re gassed before the summer and checked for leaks - all OK, so it may be normal!

Appreciated comments so far, would be good if more could confirm so i can put it to bed. Doesn't seen normal to me and I'm the one where if something ain't working 100% I'll chase it til it is

I think mine's the same.

As far as I know the hot gas comes in whenever the cabin temperature is set higher than the coolant temperature, whether or not the aircon is on or off.
From a cold start, even in summer, the coolant is likely to be below the (say) 20oC cabin temperature for a little while.
Only by setting aircon to off and temp to 'low' does it seem not to cut in.

The system does help a little on the coldest days, but in general an enthusiastic f@rt is about as effective.

I imagine the fan under the bonnet is coming on and off to try and steal the (relative) warmth from the outside to concentrate to push into the cabin. Not sure if it comes on if you're doing 60mph where the draft may be sufficient to do the job.

Seems like a really over complicated system that i would expect when running in full AUTO but i don't run it in auto and I've noticed the system intervening at certain temp settings based on the changing coolant temp as the coolant is warming.

I've got the torque app and i monitor coolant temp and have noticed that when gauge on dash reads full operating temp the coolant is actually at 58 degrees c.
Thermostat opens at 78 and car will stabilise at this or 2 degrees more to 80 during summer.

The thing that really is annoying me at the moment is at a modest setting on the climate control of temp 22 fans at 2 out of 7 with aircon off my car never goes over 70 which can take 45 mins of town driving. Town driving i gain 2 degrees on stretches between lights then lose the 2 I've gained when waiting at the next set once i get up to 70 degrees. Only by switching temp to lowest settings do i have any chance of getting engine up to the 78 degrees operating temp. I know this could be symptomatic of thermostat stuck open but I've already replaced this start of the year and torque app confirms its opening and closing at 78.

Seems bad design that if you want to run heating at max engine is never going to be anywhere near operating temp which as far as I've learned over the years is that engines run more efficiently and have less wear when at operating temp.

I know alot of this is off topic but would be good also to see if this is also normal or do i have another issue with my diesel that doesn't seem quite right to me

My ac does the same. Had an issue in the summer with it not blowing through very cold. Took it in for a re-gas. No leaks found and the pressure was good. They said it just needed a good clean out. It was back to Icey cold after. The compressor still kicks in and out. Had a Lexus before which did the same, so ***ume it’s normal.