What's new

Air-Con not working

padraic

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord icdti
Hi all, I have been reading through previous posts and treads on Air-Con issues and I have spent the afternoon trying different suggestions mentioned in those post and treads.
A bit of background information first, its a 2007 Accord diesel. I had the system re-gassed two years ago but after a few months it stopped working again.

I went in to the diagnostic mode and checked the reading from sensor 10. it was reading 00, I turned on the ac and still no difference and I noticed that the compressor was not running.
I ran the compressor by connecting a wire from the battery to pin 2 of the relay and the compressor turned and the reading from sensor 10 went up to 02, still no cold air and nothing visible in the sight glass on the pipe.

I'm ***uming that all the gas has leaked out of the system.
I'm just wondering if there is a regular or know leak issue or is it going to be difficult to find the leak?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

You've done some excellent DIY there ;)

The leak will most likely be coming from (in order of most likely)

1. the seals on the compressor (shaft) , there is oil in the system and if it's not used the seals dry out
2. possibly the condenser or joints or seals (latter unlikely)
3. leak at one of the filling points
4. leak at the 'magnet valve' (diesel car only has this)
5. evaporator (never heard of this happening)

freddofrog said:
You've done some excellent DIY there ;)

The leak will most likely be coming from (in order of most likely)

1. the seals on the compressor (shaft) , there is oil in the system and if it's not used the seals dry out
2. possibly the condenser or joints or seals (latter unlikely)
3. leak at one of the filling points
4. leak at the 'magnet valve' (diesel car only has this)
5. evaporator (never heard of this happening)
Cheers for the reply, so no one obvious usual leak. Is the only way to find the leak by re-gassing and using the uv detection? or would it be easier to just replace the compressor seals and then re-gas?

padraic said:
Cheers for the reply, so no one obvious usual leak. Is the only way to find the leak by re-gassing and using the uv detection? or would it be easier to just replace the compressor seals and then re-gas?
I don't know where you'd get the seals from, not on the parts list --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SEA701&block_02=B__5701&block_03=3161&block_05=hcr

Most people get another compressor from breakers (usually comes with a short warranty) but it's probably best to get the leak checked with uv dye before committing to that

You've probably seen this other thread already --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/22149-air-con/ and the brief follow-up with the length of the belt you can fit on the diesel to keep going without a compressor --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/22754-22-diesel-fan-belt-without-air-con/

that will enable you to remove the compressor and consider what to do next , note that if you do that, block the pipes

Hi all, since I tried to run the compressor with using a wire from the battery to pin 2 of the relay I have got a engine check light on my dash, is there an easy way to clear this?

Yeah it does that on the diesel (but not petrol) for some strange reason, I think it clears if you disconnect the battery for a few mins, or get any scanner to clear it.

freddofrog said:
Yeah it does that on the diesel (but not petrol) for some strange reason, I think it clears if you disconnect the battery for a few mins, or get any scanner to clear it.
I've tried disconnecting the battery for a while and it has not got rid of this light. Any other ideas?

Any scanner will clear it, but it doesn't affect anything anyway, it should be the glow-plug light ?

freddofrog said:
Any scanner will clear it, but it doesn't affect anything anyway, it should be the glow-plug light ?
What I'm seeing id the glow plug light and check engine light. I've also tried resetting it by connecting pin 4 & 9 of the diagnostic plug and going through the reset procedure a few times but this hasn't worked either.

padraic said:
What I'm seeing id the glow plug light and check engine light. I've also tried resetting it by connecting pin 4 & 9 of the diagnostic plug and going through the reset procedure a few times but this hasn't worked either.
no that reset procedure is for ABS/VSA problem
don't worry about the glow-plug light it's a spurious thing that happens on the diesel car when you remove the compressor relay, best way to clear it is using any scanner/reader but IIRC it does clear itself eventually anyway

freddofrog said:
no that reset procedure is for ABS/VSA problem
don't worry about the glow-plug light it's a spurious thing that happens on the diesel car when you remove the compressor relay, best way to clear it is using any scanner/reader but IIRC it does clear itself eventually anyway
I see, I thought that this reset procedure was for all faults. Is there any similar way to clear this type of fault as I don't have access to a scanner\reader? Or will it take long to clear on its own?

padraic said:
I see, I thought that this reset procedure was for all faults.
B)

padraic said:
Is there any similar way to clear this type of fault as I don't have access to a scanner\reader? Or will it take long to clear on its own?
any garage or anyone with any scanner can clear it , but it's not a problem doesn't stop the engine and doesn't put it into limp mode