What's new

AirPlay/DLNA Wireless Music

ataraxia

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Listening to music in my car when I think "I could do with linking my phone wirelessly to play music instead of fiddling with aux cables". The solution is a bluetooth receiver, of course. But I don't like bluetooth and have had many problems with interference on bluetooth speakers and such. And a bluetooth connection, even in these days of 4.0, can be very temperamental.

Maybe WiFi? Then I thought, DLNA? A new standard implemented into the modern media home, surely there must be a way to have a DLNA receiver that outputs to an aux plug?

I had a browse through teh interwebs and found this!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181456655769?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will be buying one shortly and thinking about hardwiring into the car with the aux coming into the centre compartment (so it's accessible). So I end up with a wireless-enabled car, able to support DLNA for Android and AirPlay for Apple!

Thought some people here would like something like this, this will be great with mates in the car on a road trip, so for example an iPhone/Touch can be passed around with no cables or crap :D

Using the exact same box - but be warned it can drop out. It is build for homeuse and a stable powersupply. That means the boot up time is around 30-40 secs via usb - thats often a bit long. Anyway, it fits fine in the center console, connected to the aux input.

Edit: oh just saw you will hardwire it - that solves the boot time problem.

Ah hope it doesn't drop out :(. How does hard wiring help boot time? I'll have it always plugged in for the time being (until I'm brave enough to attack the car)

ataraxia said:
Ah hope it doesn't drop out :(. How does hard wiring help boot time? I'll have it always plugged in for the time being (until I'm brave enough to attack the car)
You are using the cigaretplug or the usb connector in the center consol for power. Those turns off with the ignition and in turn turns the box off. The power on time refers to the time before the wifi network appears after you have switched the ignition on.

When you hardwire the power would always be on, and there is therefore no waiting time for a boot up.

It would be the same for me as I wouldn't connect it directly to the battery for fear of draining it overnight!