What's new

alternator-noise

adam180

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.0 (2005)
Hello Forum
Can anyone advise me please.
I have a honda accord (2005) 2.0 cdi I think, with aprox 60.000 miles on the clock and its the best car I have ever owned, not costing me a penny in repairs.
But now I have a small problem with a flat battery, its the alternator I think because around the same time I started getting a whining noise from under the bonnet (I have changed the battery).
Resurching the problem I have found out the alternator sometimes has a problem with the bearings inside it, that make it fail, if I rev it to 3500 rpm or more the battery light on the dash goes out, any less it comes on.
I have a couple of questions.
1) I am a mechanic myself but only a lowly lawnmower mechanic, I dont understand how a noisey alternator bearing just making a noise can affect its output if its still spinning the same speed or is there more to it than that?
2) I want to change the bearings myself, unless any of you say not to, what size are they, its label has on it- honda CSC29 12V 104210-3291 (DENSO).
Thanks for any help
Adam

Rebuilding the alternators involves changing the rectifier module, brushes (constant contact brushes wear slowly but it's wise to replace especially if the problem was a dying bearing), front bearing and rear bearing.

You will save yourself money if you source the parts and you do it yourself, but there are really cheap deals out there too.

The rear bearing generally needs a press to replace.

Also worth doing the short belt modification whilst the alternator is off. Puts much less strain on the alternator and gains 50bhp! (Joke sorry). But seriously get the shortened belt and remove the unwanted pulley.
It's well documented on here....

Hello all
Thank you for your advice.
Yes Richard I do want to save some money by doing it myself, hopefully the bearing wont defeat me, I am doing bearings all the time on mowers/ride ons etc in the workshop, theres a really good company we use all the time called "belts & bearings" nearby we use, all I need to do is give him the old bearings (I would have prefer just giving him the sizes, I can use the car to get them then).
As well as the bearings I will also try to get the other items you advised Richard (rectifier module, brushes), hopefully I can find the part numbers in the documents Andy mentioned (or on the internet).
I have already seen about the shortened belt Andy and rerouting it, but I want to keep what needs doing down to the minimum as I will probably only have the car a couple more years, also someone in a "chelsea tractor" crashed into my passenger door not stopping at a junction today and I want to prepare it quickly so that the other guys insurance companys sprayers can take it to repair it.
Thanks again for your very good advice.
Adam

Funny you should say that Stephen...
I did concider it but I am far to honest for my own good, you can garrantee if it was my fault everyone in the other car would have had whiplash.

Back to my accord, Ive found a second hand alternator on a popular internet auction site for £55.00 (plus delivery) that will get me out of trouble but the seller is being particularly unhelpful (oppersite of you lot).
I asked if his one he is selling would still be okay on my car, even though its last digit on the code/part no is different, ie
Mine is
Denso Honda CSC29 104210-3291
His is
Denso Honda CSC29 104210-3290
He basically said find out yourself and if its wrong your stuck with it (but in not so many words :)).
Does anyone know please.
thanks Adam