What's new

alternator woes ?

ssaccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-cdti
Hi there went out to start my accord this morning it was a no go so got my dad to jump start it and we managed to revive it back around again now when it turned out again I heard this awful sound coming from the engine bay it remained like this for about 30-40 seconds then the noise suddenly stopped and it sounded as normal again any ideas on this one folk starting to think I should just get rid of the car and get something different even though I know its too rough for anyone else I'm at a crossroads cause I just know the timing chain needs done as its been noisy since I got her starting to feel like a money pit

I was in the same predicament in November, but saw the thread on here re the short belt option, and possible alternator bearings, I got a short belt and a new alternator, fitted them, I now have a NEW car once more, The noise a shrieking noise that goes away after about 20-30 seconds, also watch the interior lights by leaving the door open, they will be dim until the noise stops then they will brighten up as the charge gets put back. You may get away with the belt and just a new pulley, but I have 198,000 miles on mine so Ithrew the alternaor away as well. Good luck with it.

Thanks edge of time starting a new job on Monday so it was the least I needed but think I will get it to the mechanic and sort it out from there

Dont get a mechanic to sort it. Its an easy job to DIY. Look in the 7th gen diy forum. Several members including myself have written guides on what to do

Yep, had this done approx 2 months ago, has helped contribute to a quieter car, a definite mod for all........

Length of the shorter belt for info 1785mm.....

But the write up's from our fellow members is brilliant.... a big thumbs up.........

iar1980 said:
Yep, had this done approx 2 months ago, has helped contribute to a quieter car, a definite mod for all........

Length of the shorter belt for info 1785mm.....

But the write up's from our fellow members is brilliant.... a big thumbs up.........

+1, excellent info on both threads.