What's new

Another Newbie with a few daft questions.....

phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
Hello boys and girls,

Newbie here from Wiltshire - just traded my '03 Volvo V70 D5 (148k) for an '05 Accord Tourer SE 2.0 V-tec (66k)

Although I normally prefer diesels, I was looking into buying either a Honda Accord, Mondeo, Vectra, Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis or Skoda Octavia.

The stories I came across regarding high mileage diesel problems put me off good and proper - bloomin' Dual Mass flywheels, Diesel particulate filters, Injector failure, bits of inlet manifold braking off and being sucked into the combustion chamber - anyway, the logic went that petrols are cheaper, and the V-tec lump is supposed to be pretty bullet proof. It is isn't it? come on - tell me it's a good engine - please!

So, one smart hear$e-like car in ubiquitious silver and it's a good 'un. Would have preferred an Exec with leather and cruise control, but this SE is pretty good, the condition is fantastic and the miles reasonably low. I drove it 170 miles back from the dealer today, and obviously the engine is completely different to the Volvo - no hefty low-down shove, but likes to rev - steering much more direct - handles better, not as smooth (though that could be the Pirelli tyres - will replace with Michelins when they wear out), gearbox very sweet, overall job's a good 'un.

So - some questions:

Last service was at 64k, but there is no mention of a cambelt having been done at any stage - when does this need doing?

Does anyone know any good indy service places in Wiltshire? I'm between Hungerford & Marlborough, but happy to travel a bit if it's someone worth using.

What sort of petrol mpg do people get out of these things? mine has no computer thing to work this out.

Are there any things I need to look out for (they all do that sir etc) or keep an eye on - do they use lots of oil?

Where can I get a spare tyre or space saver or something rather than the can of gunk Honda provide?

I think that's it for now - thanks in advance for any help

love & kisses - phil

its a cam chain. so no belts to worry about, and yes it is bullet proof but don't neglect it.
and I get about 33 mpg combined with a lot of town driving.
I hope you enjoy your new car and it will grow on you more each day.
I had a Volvo S60 and find my Accord a lot more rewarding to drive. impact a big factor in me selling my Volvo was the way to light steering. I found it potentially dangerous in a 2.4 turbo with 200 bhp going through the front wheels. it was a really comfortable car but let down by poor steering and a plasticy interior. the accord I can't fault really.
well I could but I would be being picky.

you have made a good choice and i am sure you will enjoy your new car.

my 2.0 doesn't use any oil but best to keep an eye on the level for a few K just to be sure.

Welcome along Phil,

Sounds a nice motor.

interesting list of diesel faults there, some I think may have been put out there by jealous competition, but of course don't want to tempt anything.

In all honesty it all boils down to proper maintenance "a poorly maintained car isn't going to get far"

The petrol engines are bullet proof and rarely throw up any issues, so you shouldn't really go wrong

Welcome along fella

Welcome along Phil,

Sounds a nice motor.

interesting list of diesel faults there, some I think may have been put out there by jealous competition, but of course don't want to tempt anything.

In all honesty it all boils down to proper maintenance "a poorly maintained car isn't going to get far"

The petrol engines are bullet proof and rarely throw up any issues, so you shouldn't really go wrong

The faults I quoted weren't specific to the Accord, it was while researching into turbo-diesels from all sorts of makes that this particular list got put together. If anything, the faults attributed to the Honda diesel seemed a lot less scary then some of the others - the Vectra 1.9 diesels in particular seem to have more than their fair share of faults, but then there are cars on autotrader with 200k plus, like you say - probably boils down to the servicing.

The faults I quoted weren't specific to the Accord, it was while researching into turbo-diesels from all sorts of makes that this particular list got put together. If anything, the faults attributed to the Honda diesel seemed a lot less scary then some of the others - the Vectra 1.9 diesels in particular seem to have more than their fair share of faults, but then there are cars on autotrader with 200k plus, like you say - probably boils down to the servicing.

Ah that explains a couple of them then!

i think many of the problems ***ociated with diesels are owner related, one of the biggest is checking the oil levels, especially if your coming over from Petrol.

Yours for example, yes check the oil level, but it is almost guaranteed to be the same level as it was the last time you checked, if it reduces by any significant amount, there will be something wrong, whereas in the diesels it is almost a certainty to use a little bit of oil and if you don't check it regularly enough, then welcome big repair bills.

Hello boys and girls,

Newbie here from Wiltshire - just traded my '03 Volvo V70 D5 (148k) for an '05 Accord Tourer SE 2.0 V-tec (66k)

Although I normally prefer diesels, I was looking into buying either a Honda Accord, Mondeo, Vectra, Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis or Skoda Octavia.

The stories I came across regarding high mileage diesel problems put me off good and proper - bloomin' Dual Mass flywheels, Diesel particulate filters, Injector failure, bits of inlet manifold braking off and being sucked into the combustion chamber - anyway, the logic went that petrols are cheaper, and the V-tec lump is supposed to be pretty bullet proof. It is isn't it? come on - tell me it's a good engine - please!

So, one smart hear$e-like car in ubiquitious silver and it's a good 'un. Would have preferred an Exec with leather and cruise control, but this SE is pretty good, the condition is fantastic and the miles reasonably low. I drove it 170 miles back from the dealer today, and obviously the engine is completely different to the Volvo - no hefty low-down shove, but likes to rev - steering much more direct - handles better, not as smooth (though that could be the Pirelli tyres - will replace with Michelins when they wear out), gearbox very sweet, overall job's a good 'un.

So - some questions:

Last service was at 64k, but there is no mention of a cambelt having been done at any stage - when does this need doing?

Does anyone know any good indy service places in Wiltshire? I'm between Hungerford & Marlborough, but happy to travel a bit if it's someone worth using.

What sort of petrol mpg do people get out of these things? mine has no computer thing to work this out.

Are there any things I need to look out for (they all do that sir etc) or keep an eye on - do they use lots of oil?

Where can I get a spare tyre or space saver or something rather than the can of gunk Honda provide?

I think that's it for now - thanks in advance for any help

love & kisses - phil

Hi Phil

Fleebay for your space saver tyre....although you may have to wait for the right one to come up - AND DO make sure you get the one that's a 16"rim - can't remember tyre size - car in garage so I'll have to check another day. If poss try and get one that comes with the lock down nut and the polstyrene tool tray. Happy hunting