What's new

Another tailgate problem

P90ade

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 accord tourer
Hi everyone, I have searched and read a lot of the threads I can find on the tailgate problems but nothing matches my problem so bare with me please

I brought last week a 2004 2.0 petrol tourer executive, first thing I checked when I brought it was the boot worked which it did, both open and close on key fob and shut on button as well.
Chuffed to bit with the car and everything was brilliant.
Went to open the boot today and it won't open automatically!
When you press the button on the key fob it unlocks the boot and tries to open probably moving about 10mm then shuts again and locks as if it's feeling resistance when trying to open.
It shuts on the button and key fob with no probs just won't open.
If I open it manually then there seems to be some weight in the tailgate as if the struts aren't helping it open.

Hopefully it's just a strut but thought this would be the best place to ask.
If it is a common problem could someone also point me in the direction of the new struts needed

Thanks in advance
Ade.

And when you shut the boot manually or go over bumpy ground there's a lot of rattling from the tail gate

A few things:

1. Make sure the sensors around the boot rim are clean
2. Test the struts. Open the boot full, and see if the struts can keep the boot fully open (no sagging)
3. Disconnect power for 10 mins with the boot closed

Let us know how you get on.

Do I have to disconnect the battery or can I just remove a fuse?

You need to reset the MICU and ***ociated circuits, simplest to to disconnect the battery (via the negative pole). Not sure on the fuse(s) involved, but I can look it up if you prefer.