What's new

Any tips on buying a second hand 8th Gen Accord?

Hi Ship

Regarding the MPG, on a motorway run you can expect to get around the high 30 low 40 mark with the Auto gearbox if you cruise at around 60-65mph. If you want to be doing around 80 you'll be looking at high 30's at the best. Around town the MPG isn't brilliant, you're looking at around high 20's to low 30's. However, it's a supremely comfortable car and will not tire you on long drives, the ride is great at high speed although it can be a tad unsettled by poor roads at town speeds.

The seats are very very nice, fully adjustable electrically and 2 person memory if you go for an EX. They have nice side bolstering and it isn't to restrictive so even very large people will fit comfortably. Oh they're heated too.

The Sound system is EPIC, it is very strong and can be adjusted to produce a lot of bass if you're into that sort of thing. If you play around with the EQ a bit you can find the ideal setting to suit any type of music you listen to. It takes USB and 3.5 mm jack sources and these are in the armrest compartment, the compartment itself is quite deep and chilled/heated too so you can keep a few cans of drink in there if need be, there's also a 12v charging port in there.

The car uses Condition Based servicing so will tell you when it needs a service and I was told by a dealer that you don't have to stick to servicing the car every 12500 miles.

The Nav system looks a bit old fashioned as the resolution of the screen isn't brilliant and it can be a bit hard to read text off it at a glance, however the instructions are clear and the voice prompts are usually very clear although some times you will get told to make a right turn on a straight road. There can also sometimes be a disk read error which will need you to turn the ignition on and off again to fix which is a pain, however recently someone on here found a fix and I think it's in the 8th gen section.

If you haven't driven the car yet, it's definitely more comfort biased than sporty. It does handle decently but it's not going to drive like any of it's rwd rivals, the engine is very smooth in it's delivery of power and there is pretty much always torque when it's needed, it's not a particularly fast car taking around 10 second from 0-60 but has good ingear performance and has enough performance for overtaking. The Autobox itself is amazingly smooth, for me coming from a 6th gen where the changes were noticeable and a quite sluggish, the 8th gen has brilliant shifts, you don't feel the car slow down and the shifts are always well timed, the only reason you know you're in the next gear is because the revs drop. The flappy paddles however aren't brilliant they are quite slow to respond but again it's a diesel saloon and you shouldn't really want to rev it out anyway :p. Thanks to the gearbox the engine is usually always at low revs so there's never much engine noise, even at 80 you'll be at around 2400 RPM ( I think), the only times you'll hear the engine struggling is if you floor it and rev the engine out or on initial statup and while the car is warming up.

Hopefully this is of some use to you and will help you with making the decision to purchase a car.

Forgot to add my car does 40 miles of extra urban driving a day at around 60/70 mph and around 5 miles of town driving (heavy stop and start) and the OBC is currently reading an average of 37mpg over the last 3000 miles.

Looking at the prices quoted on here, I feel I grabbed a bargain..

I got a 08 EX ES with 50k with 8 stamps (with Sat Nav and all the toys) - for £6800 and this was about 9 months ago
The car is also in perfect nick.

The higher up North the cheaper they get IMO

8thgenfan said:
Ex and ex gt have have a fake wood grain interior fascia inserts whereas the es and es gt have plastic , also alloy gear knob and pedals in gt models , sat nav and parking camera as standard in the ex and ex gt , youll do well to get over 50 mpg in any , but still a nice drive once on the move , feels a little rough on standstill , well screwed together and way more exclusive than most other cars on the road

cant agree more with this! the mpg is brilliant in my ex! yer its probably not a 100% accurate, but 70% of the time im driving it, im getting 80 + MPG, and i think theres only a hand full of 8th gens accords where im from so the exclusivity of this vehicle is priceless! hahaha my dad has never seen one before untill i pulld up to the house haha

Back to the mpg = My trip usual says between 160 to 180 miles i can do on £20 quids worth of Diesel, £20 in my type r would just about get me 60 miles!

hi

8th Gens, quiet and comfortable? Yes I think so. On the motorway they are pretty good, quiet and reasonably low noise. Low speed ride around town is a tiny bit pattery which is about all I can think of negatively as regards comfort. Handling is fine too. I also find the seats very good (better than my E350cdi).

I can't comment on the cdti auto since we have a 2.4 EX GT petrol (good engine btw). However I regularly get around the same mpg from my 310 bhp Merc (Brabus tuned) as people get on here from their Accord diesels. Hence I can certainly say I'm not impressed with the Honda quoted MPG. On the motorway the 2.4 will give high thirties MGP. No turbos, DMF or DPF to go wrong either.

As you have already said too the MkVIII estate is quite a lot smaller than the MkVII. Otherwsie the EX GT is pretty comprehensively well equipped. The only omission on ours are HID.

Two things come to mind, includes the problems I've been having.

1. If there is a sun roof check for corrosion around the rubber seal, pull back the rubber seal and if you rust then trouble...

2. Also check for binding rear brakes, take it for a test spin for 5 miles and check the temperature around the hub (it should be warm after braking but not red hot)