What's new

Anybody cross-shop an Audi A4 -- curious to get your feedback pro/cons vs 8th gen Accord

Not sure what cross- shopping means but I have recovered far more Audis than Honda diesels thanks to their Sagem injectors. When one flags up a fault the whole manageent system shuts down, sometimes as a precursor to an RTA since the coasting car loses the servo ***ist steering and braking.

I can only compare the b8 a4 allroad 170hp with a base 2.2 mk8, and I have not spent enough time with either to comment on long term issues or gremlins, but..

sloppy gearbox, otherwise nice to drive
"loud" interior with a lot going on in it
seating position and seat firmness makes it feel sportier than the accord. more like a bmw tbh
less body roll and "harsher" ride but somehow it has less feedback through the wheel and feels less precise even with the AUDI FIVE-LINK REGISTERED TRADEMARK SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING quad arm quad balljoint per corner front suspension
understeering not a problem with normal driving
throttle response better than accord, harsher but narrower torque curve and longer spool time
better aftermarket/mod support

Apologies, the culprit injectors were made by Siemens, not Sagem.

Ive owned Hondas all my life and about 4 years back I had a 2005 Audi A4 2.0 tdi multitronic. Lovely motor it was bright red with 18 inch wheels.

Kept it serviced regularly the gearbox started making a grinding noise. I must have spent hundreds on discs pads waterpump timing belts pulleys etc and then found out the grinding noise was from the gearbox. was quoted about 1300 quid for a reconditioned one to replace so got shot of it.

I would have kept it but them 2.0 tdi engines between 05 and 08 had this issue with some heck bolt shearing causing the oil pump to fail causing the engine to die a death. Although I never had this issue at 100k I felt the need to let it go before It became a major money pit. Needless to say I'm back on my 7th Honda now and i ain't looked back since.

My advice. If your gonna go VAG then be sure the work on the engine has been carried out . The newer tdi engines was a CR engine 2008+ and they didnt have any hex drive /balance shaft issues as far as I'm aware but still be sure u got at least a grand in the bank incase something goes wrong .

Good luck dude

I've had 3 passat estates and an audi s4 avant. Never stopped fixing the passats, one thing after another. they were old though, b5.5s. A good drive too. Didn't own the audi long enough to have problems glad to say.
The parts to fix vag cars are reasonably priced and lots of cheaper stuff on the likes of ebay.
Honda parts not very cheap at all and hard to source cheaper parts. Maybe thats why they last longer.
Been lucky since buying this accord on 150k, done nearly 30k in it with no real expense apart from remap.

Thanks for the replies -- confirming my fears re A4s - back to finding an Accord....