What's new

anyone had exhaust manifold replaced after 125k limit.

kelpie44

Members
Reaction score
Car
05 tourer exec 2.2
Hi all. new to this so not sure if this is the right section for my question.Anyways, i have recently bought an 05 Accord tourer 2.2 diesel.it has 13200 miles up.It appears to have the telltail fumes in the cabin at start up and tick over.I,ve been in touch with my nearest honda dealer here in northern ireland.They dont think Honda will cover the new manifold as my car is over the 125k mileage limit.My question is: has anyone had their exhaust manifold replaced by honda with a higher mileage than 125k free of charge? or has there been a goodwill jesture towards fixing the problem?Doesnt seem fair as its a design fault on Hondas part.A little light on this subject would help. thanks . :(

I was around 144k and a I got was two fingers from Honda.

has anyone had their exhaust manifold replaced by honda with a higher mileage than 125k free of charge? or has there been a goodwill jesture towards fixing the problem?Doesnt seem fair as its a design fault on Hondas part.A little light on this subject would help. thanks . :(
To be fair to Honda a 7 year 125k warranty is pretty good in itself. Any car that comes in for repair is likely to be a common fault on that model (read as known issue) and most manufacturers will just say it's out of warranty so no deal.

Hi all. new to this so not sure if this is the right section for my question.Anyways, i have recently bought an 05 Accord tourer 2.2 diesel.it has 13200 miles up.It appears to have the telltail fumes in the cabin at start up and tick over.I,ve been in touch with my nearest honda dealer here in northern ireland.They dont think Honda will cover the new manifold as my car is over the 125k mileage limit.My question is: has anyone had their exhaust manifold replaced by honda with a higher mileage than 125k free of charge? or has there been a goodwill jesture towards fixing the problem?Doesnt seem fair as its a design fault on Hondas part.A little light on this subject would help. thanks . :(

Have a look through what service records and sheets you have, see if anything is recorded at a mileage below 125k , that way you may have more of a case that it happened during the extended warranty period but nothing had been done about it.

If there is no paperwork, then still ring Honda customer service, be polite, keep in mind that Honda extended the warranty to 125k miles, which you could argue is a long period for any manifold to last, certainly on some other manufacturers. Fingers crossed they may help towards the cost, as a good will gesture, taking into account that you have just bought the car and had no control over previous maintenance and it is 7k over the warranty limit.

I wouldn't be expecting it to be free though to be honest.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.The fumes arent very bad at the minute.How bad does it get?Does it get to a point were you just have to replace it? Has anyone actually replaced it themselves?Looks pretty tight for space.I may try and talk to Honda customer service, nothing ventured eh. thanks all :D

Some one rewelded theirs, but you are risking co poisoning... change it as soon S you are able.

Does the smell persist even when warmed up? are there traces of black soot on the firewall in the vicinity of the brake master cylinder? Could be that it's the gas preheater system that smells, don't ask why it's there or what it's supposed to do, but on cold mornings it kicks in and the smell is there when you stand outside the car.

It might do, but only a few had a display giving you a concentration.

You also can't rely on it as an alternative to having the work done.

I have calibrated combustion ****ysers, which although not designed for diesel, do have settings for fuel oil.

CO itself is colourless and odour less, so the level of fumey smell us not an indicator if CO levels.

Does the smell persist even when warmed up? are there traces of black soot on the firewall in the vicinity of the brake master cylinder? Could be that it's the gas preheater system that smells, don't ask why it's there or what it's supposed to do, but on cold mornings it kicks in and the smell is there when you stand outside the car.
Hi there, yes the smell is still apparent when warmed up.funny enough, i didnt think it seemed as bad last day or so? Havent had a chance to look in and around the manifold. TBH been busy looking at this site !! a mine of info. cured my clutch pedal squeek 100% thanks to this site. will investigate the manifold/firewall area.
cheers edge.

I've been in challenging comminication with Honda UK re. replacing my manifold. 115k and 14 days over the 7 yr warranty period. The dealers submitted claim was rejected! And Honda UK wrote to me to kindly advise me they weren't offering any goodwil gesture!
I have actual documentary service evidence of formal letter headed paper that records that the manifold was the suspect cause of the ingress of fumes. This was provided to the dealer several months ago. They just sat on the car & then told me "it wasn't that bad". They wouldn't look/investigate until I paid for an inspection. Then they still did not provide me with a defect report.
Still waiting on a further reply to an official complaint.

I've been in challenging comminication with Honda UK re. replacing my manifold. 115k and 14 days over the 7 yr warranty period. The dealers submitted claim was rejected! And Honda UK wrote to me to kindly advise me they weren't offering any goodwil gesture!
I have actual documentary service evidence of formal letter headed paper that records that the manifold was the suspect cause of the ingress of fumes. This was provided to the dealer several months ago. They just sat on the car & then told me "it wasn't that bad". They wouldn't look/investigate until I paid for an inspection. Then they still did not provide me with a defect report.
Hi Trevor, oh Dear doesnt sound promising! I e-mailed Honda customer services. waiting on a reply.Local dealer wanted £35 to look at manifold.I took the heat shield off in 2mins. lots of soot. I don,t expect any joy from Honda TBH. would be interested to hear how ya get on ! Good luck :)

Hi Trevor, oh Dear doesnt sound promising! I e-mailed Honda customer services. waiting on a reply.Local dealer wanted £35 to look at manifold.I took the heat shield off in 2mins. lots of soot. I don,t expect any joy from Honda TBH. would be interested to hear how ya get on ! Good luck :)
Anyone out there done this manifold change themselves?

I've had a look in the top of the engine bay and I though the old Renault RX4 looked busy round there - I could only just make out the exhaust heatshield!!!
:huh:

Anyone out there done this manifold change themselves?

I've had a look in the top of the engine bay and I though the old Renault RX4 looked busy round there - I could only just make out the exhaust heatshield!!!
:huh:

Bit of a beast of a job, you'll need to remove the turbo (obviously) and all the vacuum oil lines, the exhaust down-pipes, heat shields and lets not forget the old seized head bolts :(

Found that you needed to approach it from the top and bottom. The bottom for the turbo and exhaust and the top for the lines and manifold.

Did you get any further with this?
I'm in the process of an official complaint. Mine is an 07 with 162k but was taken to Honda for 90% of its servicing. My argument is that it should have been picked up before now as I'm the new owner and it's possible the previous owner didn't know what was wrong or how to go about getting it sorted.

Does anyone know if the revised manifold was put on any cars leaving the factory past or present ?

Hi there, yes the smell is still apparent when warmed up.funny enough, i didnt think it seemed as bad last day or so? Havent had a chance to look in and around the manifold. TBH been busy looking at this site !! a mine of info. cured my clutch pedal squeek 100% thanks to this site. will investigate the manifold/firewall area.
cheers edge.

nothing back from you, have you sold the car???