What's new

ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid Part Change

hughezee

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG2 & RA6
Hi Folks I know the topic has been covered, but some of the posts are incomplete so thought i would refresh an absolutely essential maintenance requirement for automatic car, yet a very effective way to resolve hard or erratic shifting gear-changes (5-6th Gen's ;) ) and to ensure longevity of the gearbox...

Firstly you will need about 3 litres of Honda ATF the exact amount will vary slightly between models and years of manufacture, but always think carefully regarding this fluid and 95% of the time its wiser to stick to the genuine fluid on a auto' unless using a cheaper fluid as temporary measure?

Changing ATF in a gearbox is advisably done whilst it’s still hot, so preferably after a 15-30 minute run as this will allow any contaminants and debris to empty more readily. Then proceed to jack up at the front of the car from the side where transmission is located for better access, also as an extra safety measure place an axle stand under the structural chassis beam. Unless you’re using ramps which is the best option all-round?

Now place some plastic sheeting down just in case and ensure a suitable bowl is placed under the sump to prevent oily mess on the floor or driveway.

DSC05465.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05470.jpg

DSC05471.jpg

Clean off the particles on the sump magnet with paper towel and replace the crush washer and reinstall the bolt :)

DSC05474.jpg

DSC05481.jpg

Now locate the dipstick usually yellow tipped, this is the main refilling point on Honda's that’s why I've shown it this way. The Accord V6 I'm demonstrating with has designated refilling point at the back of the transmission.

DSC05475.jpg

DSC05478.jpg

As you can see above I’ve placed a small funnel in the dipstick whole this is not necessary for all Honda's, it was just to accommodate a larger funnel which will normally fit fine.

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05480.jpg

DSC05482.jpg

Measure out 2.2 litres and pour in confidently and then remove funnel(s), check it registers on the dipstick an then start the engine.

DSC05487.jpg

Now shuttle through the gears if you feel it necessary and periodically check for any leaks.

DSC05488.jpg

DSC05489.jpg

All good turn off the engine leave for 10-15mins and check the level and top up if necessary and always reset transmission control unit or try removing the battery terminal for a few hours might work ????

Top write up, guess this will be he same for. A manual?

This is only a part change for an Auto' I did post MTF change here: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13530-mtf-manual-transmission-fluid-full-change/page__p__150650__fromsearch__1#entry150650

Regards

Honda Man

Did mine yesterday, it's suppose to be done every 50k miles (75k for the first change) or 4 years, whatever comes first. This was my fluid at 25k miles but last changed around 5 years ago, it was black and there was alot of swarf on the magnet!! Gear change is much better now, alot smoother and I might even do it again in a months time.

post-438-0-36260100-1394787636.jpg

Glad this proved useful :D I would highly recommend changing the external filter on your transmission as well, think its been mentioned on here before. Anyway the dark coloration and excess friction material is a sign of a over heating transmission and the filter could be restricting flow to the clutch plates, :blush: unless your using the car for towing and excess heat is unavoidable, so either way I would recommend another change sooner rather than later m8y ;) why not bring the car down to the meet i'm holding on the 29th March in Burton, top-up the TA members attending?

I did think about the filter but it's not a serviceable item is it? I'll order one, another litre of oil and change them both at the same time.

No the car isn't used for towing and never will be. Can't make the meet, I'm away a few days later and need to save my cash for that :)

I am going to order the filter today but not sure when to change it. While the gear change is better it's still not as smooth as I'd like it. If I drop and fill the oil again it's just mixing with the old stuff still and if the filter is blocked won't be helping the gearbox much. I think I should change it now, do 500-1000 miles and then drop/refill it again?