What's new

ATR Valve Clearances.

luvmyaccord

6th & Type R Mod
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Valves should be adjusted only when the cylinder head temperature is less than 38°C (100°F), ideally the engine should be stone cold/left over night.

Adjust the Valve Clearances to:

Intake: 0.17 mm (0.007 in) ± 0.02 mm (0.0008 in)
Exhaust: 0.19 mm (0.007 in) ± 0.02 mm (0.0008 in)

Order should be cylinder 1 - 3 - 4 - 2

After adjusting, retorque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 245 Nm (25.0 kgf/m, 181 lbf/ft).

How to:

1. set engine to tdc, adjust valve's on number 1 cylinder
2.turn engine 180degrees anticlockwise,camshaft mark's pointing to exhaust side, adjust valves on number 3 cylinder
3.rotate engine 180 degrees, anticlockwise, camshaft mark's pointing down, adjust valve's on number 4 cylinder
4. rotate cylinder 180 degrees, camshaft mark's pointing to intake side, adjust valve's on number 2 cylinder

just saw this thread and wondered if it makes any difference to have this done, as my local dealer has offered it for £90.

my engine is a F20B6 if that helps with 96000 miles on the clock.

Tia

Jamie S

How are you turning a engine 180 degrees on this one Simon?

I was specifically coming to post in the 6th gen section about this and simon has done it allready! Not wanting to hijack this thread but I was wondering what is involved and if it will improve performance and noise reduction?

I have a 1.8 and have just had a good quote for a full service at Bexhill Honda at £490 all in, but am wondering if I really need the clearances doing? My engine is pretty quiet but have noticed lately that it is startn to make a slight ticking sound, could this mean it needs doing?

Cheers
Dave

I do this on my ATR and they do need doing every so often.

£490 Jesus. Give me your car and I'll do it for half the price (crown Honda London)