What's new

Auto Gearbox Fault - Delay Going into Drive

tonyh

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Tourer
Hi Guys

Wondered if any of you have ever suffered a delay when going from Park to Drive, especially after leaving the car overnight?

Mine has recently developed this fault (gearbox oil replaced but still no change - no pun intended!).

It's fine going from Park to Reverse and once it's finally gone into gear (can take 2-3 minutes) the fault doesn't reappear.

Also, when driving the dash/gear indication light sometimes flickers under acceleration.

Am I looking at a faulty solenoid somewhere.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, did you use genuine Honda ATF fluid?

Hi Fahad

Thanks for the quick response.

Local garage have changed it (twice in the last 15k) and probably didn't use Honda ATF.

I must admit I did read that Honda ATF should be used but as the fault didn't appear until approx 4k after the second change I ***umed the fluid was okay. As mentioned it goes into reverse no problem.

(Just to confirm I got it changed the first time as I'd been suffering a judder at around 1,800rpm - didn't cure the judder though so I've learned to live with it ....).

I'll buy some Honda ATF (can this be bought online or should I just go to my local Honda dealer?) and get it changed when it goes in for the MOT later this month.

In the meantime would be interested to hear if anyone else has suffered a similar fault.

Thanks again,

Tony

Finally got this sorted with a happy ending :)

It turned out to be a faulty gearbox sensor (Part No H28900RCT024 @£80.46).

It's located behind a plastic cover on the inner wheel arch and according to the local garage (because of it's design) had picked up lots of road cr*p and corroded.

Fitting the sensor also cured a long term judder I'd been having at 1800rpm.

Drives like it did when I first bought it with 36k on the clock (now has 172k on the clock).

Great result and well pleased :)

Glad your sorted Tony and thanks for the feedback