What's new

Auto gearbox strange delaer reaction.

drobbins777

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2003 2.0 AUTO
Yesterday I had my gearbox oil replaced at my local Honda Dealer. Reasonable £75 for the oil and drain plug.

However I noticed oil was Q8 not the requested ATF-Z1 or ATF-DW1.

So I dropped the dealer a note to this effect and got this reply. What do you make of it guys?

Hello Mr R....

Thank you for your email concerning the transmission oil on your invoice.

I can confirm that we did supply and fit Q8 ATF in your vehicle. This is a Dexron III synthetic oil and is branded as Q8 ATF 15ED and I have attached a spec sheet for you to see which explains its technical specifications.

Whilst Honda sell their branded product, Honda don’t manufacture their own oil and as a dealer we are required to use lubricant products which meet the vehicle requirements and I ***ure this product actually exceeds the requirements of your vehicle.

I don’t know if you had the transmission oil changed as a routine or to rectify a problem but I trust the repair was satisfactory and your vehicle is running well?

If you do have any problems or if I can be of further ***istance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Signed..

I should say the car is going ok and no big concerns but just a little worried about the choice of oil!

Understand your concern mate, if it's a Honda dealer why are they not using The Honda begs the question, cheaper by the barrel? does make you wonder, thing is that oil they have put in equivalent use typically in Gm cars i.e a Dextron III equivalent and in the handbook it even states , only to use dextron on a temporary basis and replace with Z1 as it can affect shift quality, might be worth contacting Honda UK and tell them a local garage has put this stuff in and what do they reckon, but don't tell them it was Honda dealer , as they look after there own, if you know what I mean!! must say my Honda dealer put Z1 on my invoice, but have they! you just never really know and have to take there word for it.
Cheers Pete

Ugh. I'd be looking to swap out the oil for the ATF-Z1 or DW1. It's not that expensive and it's recommended! Of course there are alternatives, but the cost isn't that big between them,

Yeh I will do mate. Honda did reply but not very positive to be honest. Its between you and the dealer in the end. I'm giving the Honda garage one last chance to make amends.

This is crazy , but typical they will not incriminate each other, Honda UK should be ensuring all dealers are following the guidelines

Absolutely Pete but it was more or less your beef is with the dealer speak to them. Wierd but true.

Good news dealer has relented and taking car back in shortly to drain and refill with ATF-DW1.

Can you stay next to them while they're doing that? Otherwise they possibly take the car and change nothing on it.

drobbins777 said:
Good news dealer has relented and taking car back in shortly to drain and refill with ATF-DW1.
Nice one mate, lets hope they stick to their word, might be worth having a close look at the fluid you have in their now, in terms of it's colour etc. then compare once they've done it, I take it the DW1 is a synthetic oil compared to the Z1 which I ***ume is mineral? I'd be interested to know how you find the transmission behaves once the DW1 is in there.
Cheers Pete

Thanks both. Yes will try and observe and will certainly let you know. The Dextron III looks reddish.

Well the gearbox oil was changed. I cant detect much difference as yet but over time I guess I would have. They got oil in the battery box while doing so needed to clean that up.

There was a viewing gallery but quite distant.

So heres hoping and preying its all good. The new oil (ATF-DW1) is cherry red as was the Dextron III.