What's new

Auto leveling lights

Supertrooper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda tourer type s
Hi guys,

Iv got a 2012 Honda accord tourer type s with auto leveling headlights. I'm having a few issues that I hope you can help with, I'll apologise now, I'm not very mechanically minded.

The head lights when turned on sort themselves out and level up fine, however if I stop on a hill for lights, they adjust to there lowest setting but then don't adjust again after. This leaves it with not a kot of light at all on the road. Any help would be appreciated before I take it into a garage.

It also happens a lot on the 7th gen Accord that comes with factory-fitted HIDs.

Various causes and various solutions.

The simplest solution that I went for is to unplug the connectors to the motors on the headlights (on the occasion when the system has got the level correct). Been like that on my car for the last 6 years. If you choose that solution you might have to put some tape inside the connectors and push them back into place for the MOT.

Brilliant, thanks freddofrog. As a quick solution I might go for that option. This might sound daft, but where are the connectors on the headlights for the motors?

Won't this through up an error light?

The motor sticks out the back of each headlight, there's a 3-pin connector onto each motor.

The systems should only turn error lights on for serious problems. but it might produce a DTC, indeed there may already be a DTC stored.

btw, on the 8th gen, I think that the Honda diagnostic system (aka Honda HDS) can probably help to pinpoint causes of minor issues like this better than on the 7th gen, but a dealer usually charges £80 just to plug in their HDS :eek: Hence the simple solution of pulling the connectors off.

I also had a problem, i got broken connecting rod from suspension lower arm to a leveling motor.
When i fixed it (i bought plastic rod from BMW dealer, (6euros for it), while honda does not have separate rod, they charge for the whole unit (which is 220euros!!!)), cut it in half and soldered both end to a proper length as honda.
Then my HID dropped to the lowest level.
You cannot pull the back into level until you connect HDS and reset the zero point (this job was done by honda dealer) and charged me for complete HID correction only for 15euros. Reasonable price.

On the other hand, when my connecting rod was broken, i can easy access the leveling motor near suspension, when my wheels was turned to the left.
And while ignition is on and headlight are also on you can move leveling motor and can see how the headlight move without needing to jack up your car.
You can somehow fixate that motor in your desire position and should be good for a while. :)

julekasMobilek said:
I also had a problem, i got broken connecting rod from suspension lower arm to a leveling motor.
When i fixed it (i bought plastic rod from BMW dealer, (6euros for it), while honda does not have separate rod, they charge for the whole unit (which is 220euros!!!)), cut it in half and soldered both end to a proper length as honda.
Then my HID dropped to the lowest level.
You cannot pull the back into level until you connect HDS and reset the zero point (this job was done by honda dealer) and charged me for complete HID correction only for 15euros. Reasonable price.

On the other hand, when my connecting rod was broken, i can easy access the leveling motor near suspension, when my wheels was turned to the left.
And while ignition is on and headlight are also on you can move leveling motor and can see how the headlight move without needing to jack up your car.
You can somehow fixate that motor in your desire position and should be good for a while. :)
Cheers mate, didn't know I'd need to get the level reset on hds, which side is the motor on, on the front? Left or right? As I'm tempted for now to just raise it and disconnect the motors to stop it moving again